Wanting to Update

jordonwuff

Baseband Member
Alright, I'm not the best with computers so speak 'stupid' with me or atleast on a level I can understand haha.. I know my computer isn't good, so don't rub it in. I'm wanting to update it so I can play game with high-end graphics and all that such. Half-Life 2 etc. You know all those games. My computer that I'm getting is at a different house right now so I don't know if these are completely accurate.. My friend has the same computer as me hopefully..

Specs-
Compaq Presario
Windows XP (Service Pack 2 downloaded)
Intel R Pentium R4CPU (2.3 Ghz)
256 MB of RAM
Intel R 82845 G/GL/GE/PE/GV (one that came with comp)
64 MB (for that Intel R Video Card)

If you need more, I can give it to you on Monday.. Since I'll be picking up that computer by then. Any help is needed.. Where to buy the stuff, what exactly to get, whether or not it can use certain things. Please, help, or e-mail me.

I'd say about as cheap as I can get while still playing all the high-end games.. And I live in Missouri, USA.

I would help you if you were in the UK. Sorry :(

Some other people will be here to help you out soon (Probably Kage :D), so they'll help.

how much are you willing to spend. the cheapest computer that can play everything at a decent high setting would be amd 64 3000 venice, cheap nforce 4 motherboard, cheap ddr 512 dual channel ram, 6600gt 128gddr3. this is the most cheapest things you can buy that can play most games maxed out. you could play battlefield 2 at 1024 with all settings on high, doom 3 will be highest settings, halflife 2 will be highest settings too. that computer you are getting is so terrible, there is not point in upgrading it. you might be able to upgrade the cpu to a 3.4ghz pentium 4 but im not sure if the motherboard will support it, the motherboard must be really old if it has a 2.3ghz pentium 4 in it.

Thanks for the encouragement, onimusha... Lol... I'm just asking what would be possible to update on this? I'm wanting to play some good games on it.. Wouldn't updating the video card and RAM be enough? Or what else would I have to do? Like I said, I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff, help me out. AMD 64 3000 Venice.. It's a computer correct? How much is the cost of it? Thanks

--Jordon

jordonwuff said:
Thanks for the encouragement, onimusha... Lol... I'm just asking what would be possible to update on this? I'm wanting to play some good games on it.. Wouldn't updating the video card and RAM be enough? Or what else would I have to do? Like I said, I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff, help me out. AMD 64 3000 Venice.. It's a computer correct? How much is the cost of it? Thanks

--Jordon

Sure I can help. Good games.. like the latest stuff? Either the 6600GT and 6800GT should do for that. Even my FX5900 works fine with the latest games, but best to go with what is good. A good 6600GT or 6800GT should be around from say $140-$170. You would have to update more then just the ram and video card. I don't even think the newer video card or ram will work on your current motherboard. The AMD 64 3000 is an excellent CPU, but to get it you would also have to upgrade to an AMD supported motherboard (I STRONGLY RECOMMEND ASUS Socket 939 motherboards for that one, NForce chipset).

Giancarlo said:
Sure I can help. Good games.. like the latest stuff? Either the 6600GT and 6800GT should do for that. Even my FX5900 works fine with the latest games, but best to go with what is good. A good 6600GT or 6800GT should be around from say $140-$170. You would have to update more then just the ram and video card. I don't even think the newer video card or ram will work on your current motherboard. The AMD 64 3000 is an excellent CPU, but to get it you would also have to upgrade to an AMD supported motherboard (I STRONGLY RECOMMEND ASUS Socket 939 motherboards for that one, NForce chipset).

Gian has covered it very well. A 6600GT is an excellent card that is fairly cheap while the 6800GT is its more expensive more powerful bigger brother. An Athlon64 excels in gaming, and I highly recommend those as well. I am off to bed, but I must disagree with Gian on ONE point, ASUS. Then again, that is purely opinion. I have gone through 2 nForce4 based ASUS. I love my nForce3 ASUS boards, and they are wonderful. But ASUS's newer boards are overpriced and underperforming in my opinion. I prefer ABIT. ABIT FATALITY if you have the extra $$$, and if not, their standard AN8 boards are wonderful as well. The Venice core 3500+ or SanDiego core 3700+ are both excellent chips, the 3700+ being a bit better with its 1MB L2 cache.

DarkBlade said:
Gian has covered it very well. A 6600GT is an excellent card that is fairly cheap while the 6800GT is its more expensive more powerful bigger brother. An Athlon64 excels in gaming, and I highly recommend those as well. I am off to bed, but I must disagree with Gian on ONE point, ASUS. Then again, that is purely opinion. I have gone through 2 nForce4 based ASUS. I love my nForce3 ASUS boards, and they are wonderful. But ASUS's newer boards are overpriced and underperforming in my opinion. I prefer ABIT. ABIT FATALITY if you have the extra $$$, and if not, their standard AN8 boards are wonderful as well. The Venice core 3500+ or SanDiego core 3700+ are both excellent chips, the 3700+ being a bit better with its 1MB L2 cache.

Asus is the best company out there and never get Abit Fatality. That's for people who are in a different budget range. Stick to a AMD 64 3000+ Venice core and overclock it. No need to get an overpriced 3500+, when you can practically meet it. Asus newer boards are top of the line and cost less then Abit. The Abit fatality is totally over-rated. Abit in my own opinion is a bit of a second rate company like Shuttle.

Also as far as video cards, I must recommend BFG as the maker. You get a life time warranty, meaning they are very confident in their products.

Back
Top Bottom