wanting to learn how to program

Status
Not open for further replies.
i actually work at a place in Deland fl called ACR computers but i do repairs so this is a big step up for me and I'm good with computers. but i don't see why i cant download the stuff for c# and vb and see which on i like more. i know that c# is up there when it comes to being the hardest but i want to learn a language that is going to be dead and that i can learn quickly if i apply my self.

I started with VB, then Java, now Javascript. That actually wasn't planned that way, but I have been able to apply similar concepts (syntax-wise) between them. There are differences to be sure, but how they work (object programming) is/are somewhat similar in concept.

Java and Javascript are NOT the same. Java is harder, but if you learn VB before Java then it isn't bad learning Java. Problem with Java is sometimes it compiles a little slow. VB isn't the fastest either. Like VB timers are not exactly the most accurate compared to the computer's own timing scheme.

I have heard some people mention Python for ease for beginners to programming, though I havent tried it myself. One of your best resources is some of the coders here, like Baez, jaeusm, and CrazeD, among others.

I started with VB, then Java, now Javascript. That actually wasn't planned that way, but I have been able to apply similar concepts (syntax-wise) between them. There are differences to be sure, but how they work (object programming) is/are somewhat similar in concept.

Once you actually learn programming concepts and data design, it's really all the same except for different syntax. Almost all popular languages use the same core C syntax/concepts, so really if you're a master in any of them you should be able to adapt similar languages quickly and easily.

I have heard some people mention Python for ease for beginners to programming, though I havent tried it myself.

Python isn't a hard language, but it does have slightly different syntax than most coders are used to. Instead of using blocks with { }, it uses indents... gets kind of confusing.

I say just find out what you are most interested in making, and then pick the language best suited for that. If you want a lot of server-like stuff, go with Java. If you want lots of GUI, go with C++ (or C# if you don't care about multiplatform). If you want web, go with PHP and/or Perl.

If you want lots of GUI, go with C++ (or C# if you don't care about multiplatform). If you want web, go with PHP and/or Perl.

What C++ learning resource(s) would you recommend ? The reason I ask is when I look at some of those C++ books I see tons of syntax stuff, but not much for GUI screenshots. I can't seem to get my mind wrapped around just what are they writing code for in the examples.

I am used to VB, Java, etc., where you get "instant gratification" where you have this form and add stuff in VB's and Java's IDEs. And with Javascript, I get I.G. right within the web page.

So for me, just trying to understand what C++ does, I just can't seem to get it without some screenshots to show me what it is that the examples are showing you how to build. Any examples you can give, Craze ?

VB is real world applicable, just not for software development. For accountants it could save them a lot of time if they wrote reusable macro for excel. I have never actually done this but, I am a TA for an intro CS class at my school and the business school requires accountants to take VB.

Also, I am not completely sold on OO programming. Lets be honest, how often can your classes really be reused without having to modify them. I am sure in the purest form they would save time but in reality the classes end up being written more in a procedural and functional style then a reusable style.

In conclusion to my rant, I would recommend VB because you get the visual immediate gratification. I personally went Java, C++, Blitz Basic(for fun), then VB and that worked for me.

The reason I ask is when I look at some of those C++ books I see tons of syntax stuff, but not much for GUI screenshots.
C++ does not have any inherent GUI -- it's just a general purpose programming language. You can choose one of several GUI toolkits to create the UI of an application with C++, like wxWidgets or GTK+.

Also, not every program needs a GUI. For instance, Windows Services run in the background with no UI.

So for me, just trying to understand what C++ does, I just can't seem to get it without some screenshots to show me what it is that the examples are showing you how to build.
Most introductory programming books use console applications as examples, which don't have GUI's.

What C++ learning resource(s) would you recommend ? The reason I ask is when I look at some of those C++ books I see tons of syntax stuff, but not much for GUI screenshots. I can't seem to get my mind wrapped around just what are they writing code for in the examples.

I am used to VB, Java, etc., where you get "instant gratification" where you have this form and add stuff in VB's and Java's IDEs. And with Javascript, I get I.G. right within the web page.

So for me, just trying to understand what C++ does, I just can't seem to get it without some screenshots to show me what it is that the examples are showing you how to build. Any examples you can give, Craze ?

Well like jaeusm said, you'll need to use extra libraries for GUI with C++. You could use the Microsoft Visual C++, but that really only teaches you Microsoft's way of doing it.

Well like jaeusm said, you'll need to use extra libraries for GUI with C++. You could use the Microsoft Visual C++, but that really only teaches you Microsoft's way of doing it.

And I am not necessarily against M$, but I am only really a fan of their OSes, not much of a fan of anything else by M$. Since I learned with VB (Express 2005), and have done some Java, and since they are OO programming languages, that is what I am used to. Thanks for the explanation though. Sounds tough (C++ that is).

For the future, I am very interested in web programming, and will probably look at PHP next at some point. Right now I am learning Javascript and that has my attention because of my class.

I was in the same position you are about 3 months ago. The first step I took was choose a descent programming language to begin with such as JAVA or C++ (I chose Java). Second, I looked for books online and the best and most recommended one I found (for Java) was "Java The Complete Reference Seventh Edition," by Osborne. Osborne makes probably the MOST comprehensive books for learning programming because they will teach you everything you need to know of that language. So now, I have been learning from this book for 3 months and it's going well. I have to admit though, sometimes it gets confusing but when that happens, I simply look online for tutorials. I would definitely learn from a book than just online tutorials because the book is also a guide (meaning you will know what to start with, where to go next, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom