wanting to learn how to program

Status
Not open for further replies.
VB is an excellent way to start programing. The easiest language to learn by far, and is a simple transition to Java or even C++. Good choice IMO.

VB is an excellent way to start programing. The easiest language to learn by far, and is a simple transition to Java or even C++. Good choice IMO.

I never said it wasn't, I just think it would be better to learn a language that is cross platform :-D, but that is just my opinion and if not at least one that is closer to Java or C++ (like C#) but I am not here to start a flame war about what is better :rolleyes:

I never said it wasn't, I just think it would be better to learn a language that is cross platform :-D, but that is just my opinion and if not at least one that is closer to Java or C++ (like C#) but I am not here to start a flame war about what is better :rolleyes:
your aloud to have a biased opinion that is defiantly what helps get to the bottom of it lol. ok so does anybody know anywhere i can go and watch videos on microsft visual basic besides there main tutorial site something that teaches you more of the code than how to use the program.

ok thank you alot

No problem, I know starting out can be tough :p I was lucky to have a friend who, I swear is a genius(and an MIT Grad) to help me get started.

I have some fun VB.NET program i made for a high school class in programming, let me know if you would like the source code, they aren't too complex, I think I have a calculator and a computer utility program. (If I can find them in my school drive I will happily pass you a copy if your interested)

Learning the syntax of a programming language is the easy and quick part of learning to program. Developing stable, user-friendly, and supportable applications takes years of professional experience.

I'm the last one who would start a flame war ;). You are correct in stating VB is not cross platform and I'll even add on that it is not real world at all (as in used in professional application development). The only reason I supported his choice was because I personally learned on VB, which made my life a whole lot easier when I started to learn the useful languages such as Java, C++, and C#. It is the most basic object oriented language, therefore can serve as an excellent tutorial to more advanced object oriented languages (Java).

I agree though, if he is confident enough, tackling C# right away would be the most efficient solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom