Wanting to extend the antenna of my wireless card

syvmn1

Baseband Member
Hey everyone. I bought this item below......

Rosewill RNX-G300LX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, WPA2, AES, TKIP with 2 dBi Antenna - Retail

link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166021

......from newegg about 6 months ago and am having hit or miss connection with it. I can't really blame the card much because the wireless base is about 30 feet away, up one level and through about 5 walls.

What I'm wondering is if I could attach an "extension cable" onto the card and move the antenna closer to the base unit. The antenna part comes off but I have no idea what type of connector I would need.

I tried looking stuff up and only came up with "pigtail" type cables but there are many variations and I don't know which one I would need.

Am I better off just getting a new card with a built in cable, or maybe buying a USB reciever and a 20 foot USB cable?

Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance!

Tim

I was hoping to find something a bit longer thats why I was looking at things like the "pigtail" thing. Id like to run the line past a few of the walls that I'm pretty sure are causing the interferance. I need maybe 15-20 feet. Thanks

Tim

hi
couldnt you have chosen a better card?
anywho at a glance (the images dont get any better for me to be completely sure of the connections)
but i think that you can use an SMA antenna
like this
i used them to boost up my external adapter that i mounted inside my case
and i have the antennas mounted on the back of my pc
and i get good reception
so its just a thought

Back
Top Bottom