Want Router That Will Enable Me to Get 300K per second again

pittguy578

Beta member
I am just trying to find out what kind of router my ex had. At her place, I was able to get download speeds of 300K per second. At my new girlfriend's place, I know I am getting just 1/4 of that, around 80K per second. I am assuming it has to do with the wireless router. The router is in her dad's portion of the house (it's separated into two houses). I believe it is a router with a 54 MBPS capacity.

I am going to buy a new router for the house that will get me back up to 300 k per second, but I am not sure which one to buy.

My specs for my PC are listed here :

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/acer-aspire-5630-6288/4507-3121_7-32562980.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

The wireless networking specs are this

"IEEE 802.11b , IEEE 802.11a , Wi-Fi CERTIFIED , IEEE 802.11g "

What kind of router would get me back up to 300K per second download speeds?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jim

Your computer will only connect at wireless G speeds. The router that is there, based on your belief that it capable of 54 Mbps, is already a G router. It is more likely based on distance and interference than it is with the router. If you want to look into Wireless N routers, you can, because they are rated at higher speeds, but you'll need to have wireless N hardware for your laptop as well.

Your computer will only connect at wireless G speeds. The router that is there, based on your belief that it capable of 54 Mbps, is already a G router. It is more likely based on distance and interference than it is with the router. If you want to look into Wireless N routers, you can, because they are rated at higher speeds, but you'll need to have wireless N hardware for your laptop as well.

That is true. However there is also the possiblity that you are just getting different speeds from the internet provider. If that is the case, a new router would not help and the only way to get better download speeds is to pay for something faster.

^ Agreed.

Before you pick your next girlfriend you may want to try out their internet speeds first.. y'know?

More than likely the ISP. sit right next to the router to test how the range affects it.

Back
Top Bottom