VNC(Virtual Network Computing) & puTTY

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
Can you guys tell me what the difference between VNC(Virtual Network Computing) & puTTY is?

i thought you would could either of the two to login remotely but i have been provided with both VNC and puTTY

VNC is where you can view the screen of the other computer on yours, where PuTTY is for things like SSH, where you log in using a command line interface.

so basically VNC allows you to see the other computers desktop but it doesn ot let you run applicatons on the other computer,

i guess for that you would need to use a second application already installed on the first computer

With VNC you can use the computer you are viewing as if you are sat at it. You can run applications.

in that case, would i need to use puTTY.

i mean with VNC, i would kind of opened a remote login session, which includes all the functions that puTTY offers, correct?

then a session of VNC would make a parallel session of puTTY unnecessary, correct?

You either use VNC or PuTTY, but not at the same time. VNC will let you use the computer as if you are sat at it, where SSH with PuTTY will allow command line things. You can't see the desktop.

VNC should allow all the features of PuTTY with SSH.

What operating system will you be logging into? For Windows you can't use SSH.

i will be logging into a redhat machine which one should be used
puTTY/VNC?

so VNC woudl let me see the whole desktop and let me use the mouse and click and drag

whereas puTTY will only let me do stuff through the command line,
and since i can only use it with non windows environment hence i can oly use stuff like copy, move, grep ....

VNC as said is this

You are basicly sitting at the PC, that's all. You can run command line and everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom