Vista updates messing the computer up?

MaxDuo

Beta member
I've had Vista on my computer for a little while now, I had to switch to it a while back when my motherboard died and XP Pro was tied to the old one. I figured I'd give Vista a try.

Anyway, for the last 2-3 months I've been having issues where Vista updates (I assume it updates, I wake up in the morning and find my computer has restarted over the night) and suddenly no programs work.

About a week and a half ago I woke up and found that my computer had restarted. I log in and tell it to open my browser and some music... wait wait wait.... nothing opens.

I try opening them again 2-3 minutes later and still no results.

I've had this happen a few times over the past 2-3 months. Every time I fix the problem by just doing a system restore to the day before.

Well this time when this happened that didn't fix it.... I restored a little earlier and still no results.

Ultimately the only system restores I had available to me were 2-3 of the most recent and several system restore undos. Not sure why suddenly I had no older ones available... but I tried doing the windows repair disk.... nothing at ALL worked for me once.

So then I found I could uninstall updates through my computer. But still no results. Actually the 2nd most recent Windows update I can't uninstall for some reason.

Is there any way at all I could fix this aside from just reinstalling Windows from scratch? I have all my files backed up, but don't want to go through all the issues of trying to set all my programs and preferences up again.

Thanks for any help, I'm pretty stuck at this point, not sure what else I can do.

I would say do a repair install but Windows Vista does not have the feature. It sounds like Vista is broken, you probably need to reinstall just because you might be prone to issues in the future.

Back
Top Bottom