Vista Information!

Bahawolf1

Fully Optimized
Microsoft to spell out Vista's needs
By Ina Fried
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
Published: May 17, 2006, 2:26 PM PDT

After months of providing only basic guidance about the kind of PC hardware needed to run Windows Vista, Microsoft is ready to get a bit more specific.

On Thursday, the company is expected to give details of two marketing programs that computer makers and retailers can use to indicate whether, and how well, their computers will run the upcoming Windows operating system. The "Vista-capable" program lists the features needed to minimally run the new operating system. The "Premium Ready" program will identify PCs that can take advantage of Vista's high-end features, including its new Aero graphics, according to a source familiar with the company's plans.

To be Vista-capable, a machine needs at least an 800MHz processor, 512MB of memory and a graphics card that can run DirectX 9 graphics. Those requirements are similar to the minimum guidelines the company has been recommending for Vista for some time.

Everything you need to know about Vista
To carry the Premium Ready designation, a PC must have a 1GHz processor, 1GB of main memory, 128MB of memory and a graphics card that supports Vista's new graphics-driver model.

The amount of graphics memory needed to run Vista's Aero graphics also varies based on the size and number of monitors. Multiple displays and larger screen sizes require more dedicated memory.

The programs are designed to help PC makers characterize and label new systems, but they also give existing PC owners a better sense of whether it is feasible to upgrade their machines.

Microsoft is also expected to announce on Thursday a test version of an upgrade-advisor tool that can be downloaded from its Web site. The tool helps a user know which versions and features of Vista their PC should run, as well as which hardware upgrades might allow them to take fuller advantage of the OS.

Vista also has a built-in tool for evaluating its performance based on a computer's components and overall performance abilities.

The Vista-capable program comes as Microsoft is preparing to offer a broader test version of the Windows update, which the software maker has said will be made available this quarter to about two million testers. The company also hosts its annual Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC) for hardware makers next week in Seattle. Details of the Vista-capable program were noted earlier Wednesday by eWeek.

This is quite interesting.. Setishock said I should post it. ;)

Screw that. I bet I could run it on 256mb, or at least 384mb ram. Just like you 'need' 256mb ram for xp, but I can run it on a 300mhz Pent 3, with 96mb ram. ]

And it runs just fine.

Oh my god. After seeing the Microsoft Press Conference from E3, I must have Windows Vista. It's SO integrated with Xbox Live it's insane. :eek: If you and this other person have the same game on the PC and Xbox 360 both of you can play the same game online, reguardless of the system. Invitations work the same way too, when someone invites you from Xbox Live, you recieve it through Vista and you can even open a seperate window where you can compare both your stats and achievements. :eek:

alvino said:
Oh my god. After seeing the Microsoft Press Conference from E3, I must have Windows Vista. It's SO integrated with Xbox Live it's insane. :eek: If you and this other person have the same game on the PC and Xbox 360 both of you can play the same game online, reguardless of the system. Invitations work the same way too, when someone invites you from Xbox Live, you recieve it through Vista and you can even open a seperate window where you can compare both your stats and achievements. :eek:

Thats pretty wicked... if they get a good interface... which they should as most xbox live games have a cool interface.

It does, if you can, the Aero interface is the way to go. It looks SO nice.

blind_reaper8 said:
heh... at least 1Gb Ram... heh... hopefully ram will become cheaper? LMAO

i think it will coz more motherboards can take up2 8GB of RAM, so it should go down quite alot.

alvino said:

if what ur saying means lets say im playing COD2 on a computer and then a guy from xbox360 invites me to play online so i could play online on me pc but face people with xbox360s?.

Also does anyone know when vista is 2 be realased. will it have a media center edition?

Back
Top Bottom