vista doesnt see hard drive in enclosure.

Open the Start Menu. Type "Disk Management" in the search box. Press enter.
If you see your drive, it probably needs to be formatted.
If you don't see your drive, type "Device Manager" in the Start Menu and press enter. Under Hard drives, see if yours is there. If not, check your BIOS to see if it knows if it's there. If none of this works, you most likely have a dead drive.

If you don't see your drive, type "Device Manager" in the Start Menu and press enter. Under Hard drives, see if yours is there. If not, check your BIOS to see if it knows if it's there. If none of this works, you most likely have a dead drive.

how do i check the BIOS?

Thanks.

Really? I'd be more swayed by thinking it's a dead enclosure than a dead drive if formatting doesn't work and the BIOS doesn't see it.....

You usually enter BIOS (or "Setup") by pressing the Del or F1 key at startup. Your computer will tell you. Just watch the very first screen that is up when you turn on your computer.

Alternatively, see if you can see the drive by going to Start -> Run -> type (without the quotes) "compmgmt.msc" -> double click on storage -> double click on disk management. Disk 0 should be your boot drive and all other drives should be listed.

You usually enter BIOS (or "Setup") by pressing the Del or F1 key at startup. Your computer will tell you. Just watch the very first screen that is up when you turn on your computer.

Alternatively, see if you can see the drive by going to Start -> Run -> type (without the quotes) "compmgmt.msc" -> double click on storage -> double click on disk management. Disk 0 should be your boot drive and all other drives should be listed.

there are a whole bunch of other drives, how do i tell? none of the others shows that there is anything on it.....

got your m-board drivers installed, all of them?

If Bios doesn't see them, I don't know what might be wrong...

there are a whole bunch of other drives, how do i tell? none of the others shows that there is anything on it.....

Okay. Try what I said once with the enclosure off and unplugged, and then try it again with it plugged in and on. See what the change is. Process of elimination. If there is no change, then something is most likely wrong.

Back
Top Bottom