Vista crashed my computer for no reason

cowdood

Baseband Member
I was using my computer normally, while charging my ipod touch via usb. It all of a sudden stopped charging and would not sync up, so I decided to restart my computer. I did this and when it booted up, it crashed within 10 seconds, giving me the blue screen that says, "windows has encountered a serious error and needs to close", etc. I have tried booting it up about 10 different times, with no luck. Also, the mouse and keyboard will no longer work (possibly any usb port since my ipod is not recognizing being plugged in, although the mouse and keyboard still worked when my ipod didn't before). I have booted up in safe mode and that seems stable, but I don't know for sure since I can't use the mouse or keyboard to do anything. It just stays stuck on the "windows has just recovered from a serious error" message. What on earth happened and how can I fix this? It would probably work after reinstalling windows, but I would rather not lose all my music, movies, and irreplaceable pictures... Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Well, you can take the HDD out and plug it into a USB enclosure or into another computer to get your data so there would be no reason you would have to lose your data.

However, with the issue, you need to find a PS2 keyboard (at least) and a mouse. Since it boots into safe mode you can check the drivers. I'm assuming you tried to boot without having your IPod plugged in and leaving it out? It sounds like it might be a USB driver issue. Also, when you first plug in a USB mouse/keyboard and boot Windows (if you've never used a USB mouse/keyboard before) it does take it 2 or 3 mins or longer to find it. I think this might be the case for you because it sounds like the USB ports are messed up and I'm guessing that the drivers are probably reloading when you turn it on. Also, is your mouse optical? If so is the light on the bottom lighting up? This will tell you if there is power in the USB and if the computer is just working on loading the drivers.

I guess I forgot that the keyboard worked before booting up when it gives me the option to run in safe mode, with networking, etc. It just doesn't work when the computer boots up. My mouse and keyboard are both wireless and use the same receiver. I wouldn't think bad usb drivers would cause windows to completely crash? And I did try booting up with nothing plugged in any usb port, but it still crashed after about 10 seconds of logging onto windows. It just did this out of no where! I didn't change a thing... that's what really bugs me. If all else fails, I guess I can salvage my files and reformat.

Does the mouse and keyboard not work in safe mode? I still think you can try to find a regular mouse/keyboard and try those in safe mode. Then you can copy your data from there.

Not to empose on your problems, but I had the same type of problem and put my HDD in an external case, plugged it in, and can't seem to get to MY files. I can get to everything else, BUT the stuff I want to get off.

Is there any way that because my user account had a password, and is there any way to get my files?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Not to empose on your problems, but I had the same type of problem and put my HDD in an external case, plugged it in, and can't seem to get to MY files. I can get to everything else, BUT the stuff I want to get off.

Is there any way that because my user account had a password, and is there any way to get my files?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Please start your own thread, this is considered thread digging and it is not allowed per the rules (if you would have taken time to read them). You need to take ownership of your files.

Back
Top Bottom