Vista 32 bit

Szat

Daemon Poster
With Vista SP1 out did Microsoft make the 32 bit version 4 gigs of RAM compatible? Or is it still 2 gigs? If so will it always be 2 gigs?

max is 4gb addressable memory in 32-bit xp up. This means any memory in your computer such as video card ram, etc. You system ram gets addressed last and gets what is left. This will likely never change in a consumer 32-bit os (some of the editions of server have a higher limit). Where did you get the 2gb from??

I think a 32-bit OS is only gonna be able to read something like 3.5 gigs no matter what, but I could be wrong. I did hear somewhere that Vista SP1 fixed that issue, and I hope it did because I'm getting a 4 gig kit soon and don't wanna upgrade to 64 bit just yet.

Oh, just so you know, your PC may only read 3.5 or whatever, but it can still fully use the 4 gigs if I remember correctly.

I think a 32-bit OS is only gonna be able to read something like 3.5 gigs no matter what, but I could be wrong. I did hear somewhere that Vista SP1 fixed that issue, and I hope it did because I'm getting a 4 gig kit soon and don't wanna upgrade to 64 bit just yet.

Oh, just so you know, your PC may only read 3.5 or whatever, but it can still fully use the 4 gigs if I remember correctly.

I guess you didn't read my post huh? Yes microsoft has a "fix" for this. Let me in on there secret, they no longer read the addressed memory for the memory total, they read the system memory and pop that in. It is only a visible change, they did nothing to make it access that memory.

And for your last part, no, the operating system can only read memory that has been addressed so it will not be used.

Back
Top Bottom