Vision Correction Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
I am just curious if anyone else has had, or considered vision correction surgery here.

I had Lasik Eye Surgery on Friday March 11th, 2005, and it cost me $3500 out of pocket. My Blue Cross Blue Shield Illinois PPO insurance didn't cover it, because it is considered 'elective' surgery, not something required, as glasses or contacts can also correct the problem.

For me, I got glasses when I was in 3rd grade, and I hated wearing glasses. They break so easily, fog up, slide down your nose, etc. etc. etc.

I got contacts my Sophomore year of highschool, and they were always a pain, taking time to put them in & take them out. Sometimes they would fall out.

I was tired of it all, so I started looking into the possibility of Lasik. I went for a free consultation to a Doctor that was highly recommended by my Optomitrist, as well as friends of the family. The consult was a few hours, but it was free, and I was able to schedule an appointment as soon as a week later, but I opted for about 6 months, to mentally prepare myself for the surgery.

The day came around, and I went with my mom to the clinic (need to have someone drive you, cause you can't drive afterward). After about a 30 minute wait (got there early), they gave me a double dose of Vallium, and then 15 minutes later, I walked into the OR, and then walked out of the OR 10-15 minutes after that. For the first day, I was pretty sensative to light, and had to wear special goggles at night to keep me from touching my eyes. I had to do special eye drops to lubricate my eyes, and anti-biotics to prevnet infection for the first week. The lubricating eye drops I had to use for about 6 months.

I had eye doctor appointments the day after, 3 days after, the week after, a month after, 6 months after, and a year later. By the day after visit, I was at 20/20. By the week later visit, I had improved to be somewhere between 20/15 and 20/10. I am still around 20/10 today, and it totally rocks. I was back at work and doing my normal routine by Monday March 14th 2005.

This is by far the best money I have ever spent. No $3500 computer rig could compare to the feeling of waking up in the morning and being able to see, not having to take off glasses or take out contacts when going to bed. No more fogging up glasses.

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would.

How about you guys? Anyone else have this surgery, or looked into it?

I've wanted to since i heard about it. I've had glasses since i was about 10 (6 years ago) and i'm sick of them. I look much different with them off than with them on. I hate worrying about breaking them, having them fog up, cleaning them about once a week.

Did you go to a reputable doctor?

Where's the poll option for "No i havent done it but when i strike oil or rob a bank i definitely will"?

Yes, I went to a reputable Doctor, one of the best in Chicago. If you are further interested, PM me, and I can give you more info about the clinic I went to (don't want to spam in the OT section)...

Another plus I just thought of on my lunch break, is the ability to wear whatever sunglasses I want to, not just clip on's, or expensive Rx ones.

Bobo, that option would be the 'thinkin about it' option, It won't let me add another.

Only CON to the surgery I forgot to mention.... Before, I was EXTREMELY nearsighted, and I can't really focus well to anything closer than about 4" from my face.... not that it matters, cause who holds something flat against their head to read it? My near & far vision is extremely awesome. Night vision is good to go also.

:cool:

I need to get these cataracts removed and have reconstructive eye surgery on one eye because of extreme astigmitism although i wouldn't say its exreme as the doctor says so, he thinks i cant see crap but i can see clearly, i just need sunglasses to go outdoors because of my astigmitism my iris doesnt close properly and it hurts my eyes but, what is the risk that the doctor will mess up and i will go blind?

I want to get it over with one eye at a time but the recovery time would bankrupt me from missing work, i dont want to do both at the same time because what if the machine isnt working properly on that day and he messes both of them up?

also would a doctor even consider doing one eye at a time? i see some ads say somehing like 750$ per eye, if i gave em 750 each time would he only do one eye? Also would it be safer to do both eyes at once? like if the second time the doc messes up on the correction?

This thread is old but..who cares..

My eyes are getting worse as the years go by..working on computers. That's why I can't stand programming, I can't stand staring at the monitor for a long period. I need glasses to drive and I occasionally wear contact lens for physical activity but they get uncomfortable after prolong usage and the len drops don't really help either especially when you're working late night and tired.

So I was wondering if it's really worth it for me if I'll be working with computers. My eye is still subjected to this abuse over time, then I would have to redo the surgery again as I get older. I wonder how many time you can do this surgery, as I heard to many time is dangerous...is that so?

whoa this thread is like a year old, i accidentally got to t by using a poll, they should really fix those things

Well I know some one who had to have eye surgery recently but they had to have it for a different reason he didn't ware goggles while welding (stupid boy) he might have to have another operation soon to fix his vision.

Oh and your right they should fix that problem with the poles on this forum, the one I am geting at the top of this thread is about gas tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom