VirtualBox

Mikary

Solid State Member
Hi there, this is going to sound silly but I'm currently using a 64 bit Windows Vista system & I want to run a 32 bit application.

So I had an idea where I would use a Virtual PC, running 32 bit Windows XP.

So far, I'm at this stage but currently I'm having trouble figuring out how to or if I can import these video files from the 64 bit system into the 32 bit system.

The application I'm trying to use is Dr. DivX to convert these files.

The latest DivX doesn't work on these files, only Dr. DivX does & it's not supported by 64 bit.

Any help would be muchly appreciated. x

Oh my bad. I'm sorry I must have misunderstood the post. You want to run a virtual machine of XP, correct? If you can get the VM booted to XP, then from there doing what you need to do shouldn't be a problem.

I must be an idiot, because I'm not fully understanding your post. lol. Sorry. Maybe word it differently?

Edit
-------
Okay I guess I'm even more of an idiot. I've had a stressful morning, so excuse me if I am not thinking correctly.

You should be able to boot the VM, then go and download (or install) Dr.DivX onto that VM, and then just transfer the files you want to convert there. Then start the conversion and everything should be fine.

The problem I'm having is how do I transfer the files I have on my main computer (64 bit) to the 32 bit virtual machine?

I'm using VirtualBox here. :p

Because vmware.com confuses me & needs to pay :(

As far as I am aware, you can just drag them in to the VirtualBox window whilst you're running the guest operating system. Or that may be VMWare. Give it a try :)

Nah, dragging doesn't work, that's one of the many things I've tried initially. :p

I'm going to download that virtual machine and try doing what you're doing with xp. I'll be back ASAP with info if I figure out how to do it.

Install the guest addons, you should then be able to transer files to/from the virtual machine.

Back
Top Bottom