Viewing my website from outside my LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

chupacabra

Solid State Member
I have set up a website, and have a dyndns service.

I can see my site from inside my LAN using my machines IP and as well with the IP of the web server. I am using a LINKSYS BEFW11S4 wireless router. I cannot see the site from an outside computer...by typing the IP address of the machine.

Is anyone familiar with the settings I need to adjust on the router. I am guessing that is where the problem is. I opened port 80 on my winxp firewall, and I have forwarded to the server IP everywhere I can see in the Router set up page.

Anyone familiar with this?

chupacabra said:
I have set up a website, and have a dyndns service.

I can see my site from inside my LAN using my machines IP and as well with the IP of the web server. I am using a LINKSYS BEFW11S4 wireless router. I cannot see the site from an outside computer...by typing the IP address of the machine.

Is anyone familiar with the settings I need to adjust on the router. I am guessing that is where the problem is. I opened port 80 on my winxp firewall, and I have forwarded to the server IP everywhere I can see in the Router set up page.

Anyone familiar with this?

You'll need to make sure your ISP has not blocked port 80. Then you'll have to setup a port forward in your router that sends traffic on port 80 to your internal LAN address and you should be good to go.

If your ISP blocks port 80 you can switch the listening port to something like 81 or whatever is open and just set that change up on DynDNS.org org as well.

Cheers

If I type in my IP from an outside computer. What would I type if I set the site to port 81. My ip and :81?

Does it matter how it comes into the router? For example, to access my computer from the outside, I type in my routers IP and then set the router up to forward to the server IP at port 81. But should the router be listening for a different port? This is fairly new to me, but I am assuming that the http requests go through my ISP on port 80 for them. If they are blocking it, will it even get to me? Or am I out to lunch?

Thanks

Im hosting a site behind a router aswell and ran into this same problem. First you machine ip cannot be accesed from outside of your network because it is a network ip. What you would want to do is change your dyndns so it goes to your router ip not your machine. then on your router you need to foreward port 80 (or whatever port your hosting on) and foreward it to your MACHINE ip. Then people should be able to access just fine:)

P.S. You ISP may be blocking you from broadcasting on port 80 but if they blocked it entirly you wouldn't be able to acess the internet:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom