videocard problems.. i need help

aidynphoenix

Baseband Member
hello. im trying to get a pciexpress card to work in this computer of mine..
the computer is a emachines t3604 it has a pci E 16x slot..

my Bfg 7600gt oc displays artifacts right from the post..
when the computer posts some of the text is a different color and isnt supposed to be..
once windows loads certain pixels are discolored.

im good with electronics repair so im trying to figure out what in particular is the problem..
most people would say.. its fucked, get a new one..
but im willing to replace capaciators if nessisary.

i hope that this image is a clear indication of the issue.. weather its the ram on the card or the cpu on the card..
or maybe if you think flashing the bios of the card would help.

have you tried a different monitor?

firstly i would say update your drivers, or perhaps reinstall them entirely. But looks like you've already tried that.

secondly, pull out the card (using proper procedure obviously) and trip the CMOS and turn on the PC using onboards if it has any, if not just turn it on and let it run for a minute. Then, turn it off and unplug it, nd reinsert the card, and turn the PC on.

You might want to check your card over for signs of any burned out capacitors or 'popped caps' as we call them. an example from a customer's PC:

197366_137280966340389_100001754605156_229380_6383403_n.jpg

Due to the part of the card those caps were in, the PC just restarted after the drivers were loaded. If your card is totally fried, it would just fail POST and halt the boot. It's a good sign if it boots to Windows anyway. Is it stable once it gets into windows? (i.e. could you leave it for a few hours without it restarting or shutting down?)

no once i install the nvidia drivers it fails to make it into windows.. without the drivers it makes it in though.. bios has the artifacts also though so i think we can rule out software issues.

well its toast.. sombody pulled some tiny components off the board at one time..
there was a tiny cap that had 1 pin connected, and another one that was chiped.
there looked to be disturbed solder in other spots that should of have had components..

Back
Top Bottom