Video games and violence

Omoplata

Golden Master
This is just a rant after reading part of an article on CNN (article in question After Newtown, some shoppers think twice about violent video games - CNN.com)

I can understand why the uninitiated may think that violent video games can spur violent actions. I just hate that the media try to spin it like it is the sole cause. In the CNN article they say,
"Police have said nothing about them (video games), and scattered news reports have gunman Adam Lanza playing games ranging from the military strategy "Starcraft" to kid-friendly "Dance Dance Revolution," neither of which rank among the more violent titles on the market."
So why even bring it up? So what if he played Halo or CoD? It doesn't mean they caused him to do it. It also doesnt mean that it increased his proficiency with a weapon. That is like saying, well once again we found out that the shooter liked oranges and bananas. Oranges and bananas must be banned because they are "linked" to violence.

Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous? In the 80's it was Metal. Now it is video games. They are always looking for a scapegoat for these issues when 9 times out of 10 it is a parenting issue.

Discuss.

Last edited:
They're just looking for something to blame it on. State mental health programs have taken huge cuts in the last few years. Funny how you never see the goverment being blamed for this. And yes bad parenting is probably even higher on the list of reasons things like this happen. Just the other night you could hear someone was yelling at their kid to put something down while they were playing black ops.

They can point the finger wherever they like. The fact is there is a serious problem with the gun laws and with the mental health systems. Video games and movies are the first to get the blame when something like this happens. They need to look at the bigger picture.

They're just looking for something to blame it on. State mental health programs have taken huge cuts in the last few years. Funny how you never see the goverment being blamed for this. And yes bad parenting is probably even higher on the list of reasons things like this happen. Just the other night you could hear someone was yelling at their kid to put something down while they were playing black ops.

when parents do thing like this is affects the kid, and shapes a his behavior
= bad parenting

here we go again with the violent video games leading to violent people. If this really was the case, then South Korea would be one rage cake ready to blow.

i have a hard time believing a 9 year old playing COD for huindreds of hours is not going to be negatively affected in some way, this cant be good for him, but a lot of parents now days just dont care what their kids are watching or playing. but it will affect each kid differently.

i would probably not give a kid that im thinking of admitting into a psych ward access to guns and teach him how to shoot. its as simple as that. each parent(if they pay enough attention) knows what their kids are capable of and if they are mature enough to realize that these are nothing more than video games

I hate this subject because it's nothing but talking heads and idiots trying to make a name for themselves by going places they have no knowledge of. Should we outlaw water too because he drank water in his lifetime? I mean when that H20 gets into your system man it can cause some strong reactions, like peeing...peeing could lead to some serious rage if you have to hold it in for a while, so I blame it all on water.

It's rediculous, and is nothing more than a testiement of how dumb we still are as a society. Ronald Reagan said it best:

“It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."

I am pretty sure things like the tragedy that happened last Friday were happening long before video games. John Wayne Gasey didnt play video games, nor did Jim Jones or Adolph Hitler or Pol Pot. I am sure the same was said about violent movies and violent lyrics in songs.

Bad people do terrible things sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom