Video card watts requirements question

So, I bought a video card from newegg.com and I saw that it required a minimum of 250 watts. Well, it was a typo on newegg. The box says it requires a minimum of 350 watts or greater.

Does this mean I have to return it? I read on another board through research that it can still support it, it's just the PSU can't support the high-end cards. Apparently, this card isn't high-end according to newegg reviews and feedback from here.

What can / should I do? :( I DESPERATELY need to change my video card... my current one takes up a crapload of memory, as it uses shared.

What video card is it and what system is it going into? Do you know the specs of your current power supply?

trust me man you dont need to match specs. i ran a Jaton 8600GT (Minimum of 450 Watts) on my 300 watt dell psu.. turns out my whole system only used 180watts under load w/8600GT (Played COD4 for 2 hours before test)

So depending on the video card you should be fine

Ehh, not sure about the specs of the power supply. The PC build itself is a HP Pavilion a6120n. I haven't changed anything in it, except for adding another 2GB of ram. It's this model right here:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/e...3158-12133158-12133158-80230663-80443888.html

I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce 7100 GS installed. It's brutal to my machine :(

The video card I ordered is:

XFX PVT86JYAHG GeForce 8500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

You'll be fine with a 8500GT. They only require a 300W PSU and really aren't that power hungry. They have been known to run on lower rated power supplies.

i cant find psu specs for your model, but i've never seen an OEM supply less than a 300watt to a intel core 2 duo.

So yeah your good :D

Ahh sweet, thanks guys! I heard from a friend in class that there's a chance it will not provide the best graphics it can. Is that true?

Also, am I supposed to install the drivers before or after slapping it into my motherboard?

I just checked the 8500GT. And the guys whole comp with the 8500GT under load used 160watts.. and the guy a had a core 2 duo oc'ed at 3.2ghz

So youll have full performance but your processor might cause bottlenecking

Would I face that issue if I don't overclock my CPU? I've kept it where it's at ever since I bought it. I probably should OC it, though, huh? Problem is I've never really looked up how to. haha

Back
Top Bottom