Video card upgrade

ikonix360

Daemon Poster
I have a computer made in 2010 with 8 gigs of RAM, an Intel Core 2 extreme Q9300 processor, 500 watt power supply and a MSI Nvidia GT-710 video card.

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT-710-2...&qid=1642799683&sprefix=gt-710,aps,77&sr=8-18

I believe the version of PCI-E is 2.0 on the motherboard.

What MSI Nvidia video card under $600 would be the best upgrade?

I need the ability to run three monitors.

Any port configuration will work as I can easily get an adapter cable to go from VGA, displayport or DVI to HDMI.

I noticed when playing Fortnite the processor usage stays around 100% and I get a FPS of 25 on average.

Would the better video card give me higher FPS and less CPU usage?

Agreed.

At some point I'll build a new PC. Might be next year or so.

For now I just need to upgrade the video card if doing so will increase my FPS and lower my CPU usage.

Last edited:
geez...$800. smackers fora new 3060 gpu....

:Overjoyed:

You can get a 1660 card for a lot less, Although it may depend on how much you plan on doing with it.

Man, I think you should consider building a new PC. I mean, I was in a similar situation, but I had a really weak laptop, you know. It took me ages to launch Photoshop on that laptop. Eventually, I built my first setup and began with a graphic card.

No point in getting a GPU for your current PC, except if you find a very good deal so you can install it in the new PC that you'll be building later. Your current system will be bottlenecking the new GPU and you won't see a performance benefit.

Man, I think you should consider building a new PC. I mean, I was in a similar situation, but I had a really weak laptop, you know. It took me ages to launch Photoshop on that laptop. Eventually, I built my first setup and began with a graphic card.
I have an AMD Radeon R7 250 (https://productz.com/en/dell-amd-radeon-r7-250/p/0GwrV). It’s a nice card that allows me to work in Adobe programs. As far as I know, this card can play some modern games. I guess it’s the cheapest one you can find for this purpose. Anyway, the choice is up to you. So, keep us updated.

My girlfriend recently bought a PC that is very good for fortnite and streaming so in January I may get one of those.

The current main pc will get a hard drive meant for network attached storage and be used in more of a server role.

The current stream pc will be moved into my bedroom and will replace a dual core laptop made in 2009 which runs windows 10.

That will maybe move somewhere else and be used for streaming music.

Back
Top Bottom