Video Card upgrade for my Dell XPS 8300-7007BK

Well times have changed with WoW and it's a little more demanding.

One thing PSU calculators don't take into consideration is quality, which is where people get highly confused. You can have a 1000w Apevia piece of junk in your machine and hit it with a 500w load and it could blow just because it's junk. Think of it this way, if you paid somebody to wire your house would you want them to cheap out and buy the crappiest 20a cable for all the rooms? It's the same with a PSU. Quality parts can make a 550w Seasonic Gold have a 100w headroom and handle a 690 where a 700w junk name can't even handle 400w without getting warm.

That being said, you can handle up to a 660 with your current wattage, but the quality is what worries me. You said you were buying the PSU but I'm to understand this current budget is PSU and GPU together. This being said, I believe the 650ti is your best bet and if you can spare the extra change and are buying a PSU too then the 660.
Okay so all of this aside, I have been reading a bunch of forums that say the Dell XPS 8300 is not compatible with ant GTX 600 series. The threads are from about 6-8 months ago, but does that still apply? Or has it been fixed?

Don't want to order anything if I'll just have to return it.

Here is an example:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/516311/gtx-680-dell-xps-8300/?offset=64

"You might as well return your 600 series gtx cards now if

You have a dell xps8300! Dell has confirmed they will no longer certify any new gpus for the xps8300 motherboards since the xps 8500 are no released and available for sale. I had a 670 and 680 and neither posted so I sold them on profit and put a 3gb gtx 580 in my xps 8300 with 630 watt psu. The gtx 580 is the best card the xps 8300 can and will ever handle with the factory intel dell locked motherboard!"

EDIT: Just found another forum that said that is an old issue and has been resolved, nevermind!

Last edited:
Sounds BS to me. Unless they literally locked any other GPU from being used via the Bios then it sounds like a bunch of tards trying to upgrade their pre-built. I mean, I wouldn't put it past Dell to do this as they are a heavy proprietary company, but I have never encountered this issue myself.

Back
Top Bottom