Video Card Trouble

xDieox

Solid State Member
ok so i just bought a new video card. an ati radeon x1650 pro 512mb agp and so far it hasnt been preforming as best as i think it could be.

my old video card was an ati radeon 9600se 128mb and with my new one im getting a minor fps increase in games but in some cases like when i play cs its getting 10-20fps lower than my old card.

my current specs are

Intel P4 2.8ghz
1gb ram
550w power supply
ati radeon x1650 pro 512mb
windows xp home sp2

so any help to get the full potential of my video card would be appreciated cause i just cant figure it out.

well define: Full
I've never messed around with an ATI (but I soon will!) so I only know how i t works for an Nvidia but if this is what you are asking go to the menu ( icon at bottom shouild be an ATI Icon) and bump the graphics slider to max, and go to advance options and max anti-aliasing, z buffer, and such.

the x1650pro isn't much of an upgrade compared to the 9600se that you had. You shouldn't see drastic improvements. RAM amount is only good for AA/AF and higher resolutions.

yeah, the x1650 isn't too much better than the 9600, though you still shouldn't be getting fps decreases. make sure your drivers are up to date.

yea i know its not much of an upgrade but i shouldn't be getting a decrease in my fps. my drivers are up to date and installed. also what would a suggestion be for a video card that would be a much better upgrade for an agp slot (yes i know old but its what i got) for around 100-150? and i want like a much better one not just like a mini upgrade.

thanks for pointing that out ( noticed just a second ago) made the mistake my bad....
fixed!

Dieo your processor is the problem. I have a pentium 4 and I also have low (20-60) fps. That might not seem low but it dips below 30 at critical times or when alot of people are on screen. The source engin is very CPU hungry. I have a p4 3.g and have trouble and you have a p4 2.8 which probably doesn't help. If your motherboard allows it I'd suggest you upgrade your cpu.

Dieo your processor is the problem. I have a pentium 4 and I also have low (20-60) fps. That might not seem low but it dips below 30 at critical times or when alot of people are on screen. The source engin is very CPU hungry. I have a p4 3.g and have trouble and you have a p4 2.8 which probably doesn't help. If your motherboard allows it I'd suggest you upgrade your cpu.

nope, not about the cpu. First, it wouldn't explain the decrease in FPS. And a 2.8ghz p4 is enough to run any game out there. It's not a great processor, but at least I've never had any problems with games. (I have a 3ghz p4)

Back
Top Bottom