Video Card RAM Capability

JoeBro

Baseband Member
Here are a few quick questions:

1. Does the 'G' in front of DDR2 - DRR3 matter? What does it mean? :confused:

2. When it says DDR3 on a video card, does that mean if you currently have DDR2, you can't use that video card? Because I saw some pretty cool graphics cards but they said GDDR3 or DDR3 and the PC I want to get currently has DDR2 to start with. Will there be any problems? :confused:

I guess that's all for now. :) Please reply if you know the answers. Bye! :D

Well, I don't quite know what the 'G' stands for, but it doesn't really make a difference. I'm pretty sure it just means Graphic Double Data Rate.

Yes, you can use a video card with DDR, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4, and DDR5 even if you have DDR2 RAM. It has nothing to do with compatibility, a video card has its own bank of graphic specific ram.

Plus, I don't think you could find any DDR5 system ram anyway. :p

yeah you can run it like need wow now said lol G stands for graphics, because its graphics ram and not the same as ram for running your system

GDDR, Graphics Double Data Rate, is a graphics card specific memory technology that was designed by ATI Technologies.

As the others have pointed out, you will have no problems running a video card with DDR3 memory on a motherboard running DDR2 system memory. The video memory is only accessed by the GPU and display circuitry.

How much do you have to spend? These days I would at least get a 4850 or an 8800GT, they aren't too pricey.

How much do you have to spend? These days I would at least get a 4850 or an 8800GT, they aren't too pricey.

Well, my price limit is up to $80. But if has mail-in-rebates, really any price as long as the final price is $80 or under (e.g. video card is $110 without mail-in-rebates, and only $80 with mail-in-rebates).

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions of video cards I should DEFINITELY take off my long, long list? :D

P.S. Also as I have said in an other thread, this was the PC I was thinking on buying:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3244199&CatId=1558

uhh, your PC is a card? haha

EDIT - between those cards, i would go with the
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3504453&CatId=1558
but the 8600 doesnt really have a good chip, i think there was a post saying why its bad to own an 8600

if you dont mind having your first card as an recertified, you can get the EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Video Card - 320 MB GDDR3 for $89.99.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4107628&CatId=3690
though, i think you might have to buy a new PSU since those brand computers dont usually come with a good PSU.
the bad thing about that card is that it has the old chip, so its a GEN1 of the 8800 series, and most people have the GEN2 of the 8800 series, which performed better. I think an a GEN2 8800GT can outperform an GEN1 of 8800GTS.
But eitherway, it performs better than the 8600GT/GTS.

Back
Top Bottom