Video Card Problem?

sygdom

Beta member
I have 2 NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTs with the SLI enabled and I have always kind of had some weird problems with my computer but they have become worse over time. Sometimes randomly my computer will just all of a sudden shut off. Sometimes it will start back up again but other times I will keep hitting the power button and it will turn on for a few seconds then turn off right away. Other times it will turn on but it doesn't seem like the video cards are turning on because I just have a blank monitor. It seems the only way I can get it to boot back up again is either by taking off the SLI connector and putting it back on or unplugging one of both of the video cards and replugging them back in. Another thing that I don't know if it has to do with it is if I move my tower even a little bit its enough to make my computer shut down. I am guessing it's video card related. Thanks

Sounds like a power supply problem. A fluctuating PSU will cause the problems you're describing. You can pick up a PSU tester pretty cheap ($20-$40). If you buy one make sure to buy one with a numeric LED read out since they'll show fluctuations in the PSU. A number of PSU testers only have lights, they're not really all that helpful since it's important to have steady power and a solid light just can't show that like a numeric LED read out.

I am starting to lean towards a PSU problem as well. I really only will be using my computer for Star Wars the Old Republic is there any PSU that you would receommend?

No experience with Thermaltake beyond the 600 watt in my server at home, but I do have a couple of Antecs and we use them at work too, and they're solid.

+1 for that PSU tester. We have the clear version of it, and it's amazing.

The issue here can also be related to heat if it won't turn on soon after it shuts off. Test the PSU, or better yet, buy or borrow another one and see if the issue goes away first. That is usually the easiest. Then if necessary, we can look into other problems.

Back
Top Bottom