Video Card Issue (same state)

serani

In Runtime
So I thought I'd make another thread since the other was getting cluttered:

Mobo was replaced, ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775

I have two HD 4870's as well as another PCI card for testing purposes

Three monitors for testing, two CRT's and an LCD

This is all in my new build, PSU checks out alright, RAM shouldn't be problematic.

Fans on Video cards all work properly, though No video is displayed, monitor either reads "no input signal" or "disconnecter"

Trials through RGB and DVI have been attempted

Running out of options at this point completely, Waiting for one of you big hitters to have a light bulb.

Thanks Guys

As I said in an earlier thread, I am really at a loss to why this is happening.

You say the RAM "shouldn't be problematic" Have you tried with only one stick of RAM. Faulty RAM can often be one of the main causes of failure to POST.

And you have tried with the PCI card?]

You could also try posting this at a big forum such as OCF or XS. There are some experts on there might have some ideas. http://www.ocforums.com/index.php

No Xfire,

I've tried the PCI card as well, same results.

I'm heading home now from the office, I'll try starting up with one stick of RAM.

And I'll go post over at the other boards.

Thanks so far guys..sorry to make this a big of pain for you all as it is for me :D

*update*

One stick of RAM and it still acts the same.

No real help has come from OCforums yet.

SUCCESS!!

Posted the good new over OCForums a couple hours ago.

I finally found out the issue after putting it together and taking it apart five times..

Turns out the 4 pin Power Connector from my PSU was bad.

Weirdest results, anyways, everything appears to be working well, I have two 4870's that I am considering keeping here from the testing and Xfiring them..

Can two separate brands (same models) be xfired?

Thanks to everyone.

Hehe, I told you OCF could help
And wasn't I the one who suggested to assemble again outside the case:
From OCF: Apart from a bad board. You could try testing outside the case. Just short the power switch pins with a screwdriver or something to get it to boot.
Oh, yes I was. :D

Make sure you install the 8.6 drivers AND the hotfix. Have fun ;) .

:-D

Thanks again Worship..

By the by, that CPU fan you recommended the "big typhoon" by Thermaltake dropped my CPU temp by ~10C..I am idle at ~40C for my CPU/MOBO..on that note the fan speed knob doesn't work..yet..and it roars as loud as my oven fan.

The P5Q-e came with such a nice utility program, one that will most definitely serve great purpose in my first trials with overclocking.

The HD 4870 is so slick, I've decided not to keep the 2nd one ( I think .. :p ) and just keep it at one card at the moment..such a large card..hot as anything.

Aside from that, I'd have to discourage anyone from ever picking up this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811215006

Poor craftsmanship, I hate their 'tooless design': the card bay has a lever rather than an individual screw for each expansion slot. IT SUCKS ! The teeth on the lever do not take large cards into account..the HD 4870 doesn't nestle nicely in there, it's a squeeze. The 'tooless' drivebays took the longest to install out of the entire build...such a pain in the ass. It brags about it's 36cm side fan..though these temperatures are nothing impressive for what they boast. Side panels are flimsy and a real hassle to remove/replace.

SO DON'T GET IT.

It's going to be a pain to dismantle, but I am going to refund the case.

Thanks for everyone's help, wish me luck in not frying my mobo!

Hehe, I told you OCF could help
And wasn't I the one who suggested to assemble again outside the case:

Oh, yes I was. :D

Make sure you install the 8.6 drivers AND the hotfix. Have fun ;) .

Oh and to add a question: Where are you seeing driver support for the 4870? Their site doesn't even list it..

Ahh it came with v8.6 and I just found the hotfix, thank you!

Oh and to add a question: Where are you seeing driver support for the 4870? Their site doesn't even list it..
It doesn't list it?! Get ready for some performance improvements when 8.7 is released then ;) .

Back
Top Bottom