video card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenrodz

Beta member
OK i have a dell dimension 4500s its still a good computer has winxp but i really think its time for me to get a new video card and i have no clue the dif between agp and pci i have guild wars and it told me when i installed it that it doesnt recommend using the card i have its an Intel(R) 82845g/gl/gv/pe/gv Graphics Controller i think if thats my card but i still dont no where it is inside my computer or what my computer can take(pci or agp) but if you can help with any of this please help thank you

if it's intel then its most likely built in. easy way to find out is check the monitor outbut if its in a horrizontal slot then its a card. you most likely have an agp slot, even if it's not being used. the problem is you cannot throw any videocard in it because it is a dell, and they like to customize stuff (water down). the only cards that will work are ones that you buy through dell. I'm not positive about any card not workin in a dell but i know a dell videocard doesn't work in other comps because dell watered it down.

That is an onboard Intel GPU. It's garbage. ALL onboard Intel GPUs are garbage. I think the one you listed is Intel Extreme 2. Doesn't matter it would serve you well you buy a new GPU. You CAN'T it out it is embedded into the modo.

Also, does your mobo support AGP. If so buy a AGP GPU. PCI is garbage.

There has been many people complaining about compatibility issues when upgrading with a Dell so you better make sure anything you buy is compatible.

Whole new computer, the mb might not fit inside since Dell makes their own cases and gets custom boards from intel.

stevenrodz said:
so i need a whole new mobo?

NO.

If your mobo doesn't support AGP then I suggest it might be time to upgrade but there are still PCI cards out there like ATI 9200 PCI which is MUCH better than Intel Extreme. PCI cards are garbage but if you're happy with it then you're happy.

When you install the new videocard you must disable the onboard. You can go into the BIOS to do that. The videocard you have is integrated into the mobo but that does not mean you have to replace the entire mobo to use a new card.

I'm pretty sure your mobo does not support PCI-E so DON'T mistake PCI for PCI-E. They are two completely different things.

As far as Dell compatibility I couldn't tell you because I would never buy a Dell but the other poster is right. Dell likes to configure things to their own liking and their cases are not upgrade friendly.

Argh their's a bit of untrue stuff going on

You most likely dont have an AGP slot, if you want to check, open up your case and look for a brown slot.

If you dont have an AGP motherboard, you can get a PCI graphics card like a PCI 9200 or PCI 5500. Do not mix up PCI-E and PCI they are different.

If you want to replace the motherboard in the dell, you also have to replace the case and the power supply. Dell are propertiary piles of shit (pardon my french). If your replacing the graphics, motherboard, case and PSU your better off to buy a new PC.

And dell = hell

Ok, you have an AGP slot, 1 8X AGP slot

However, make sure you look at the minimum requirements for power supply on the video card, you have a 250 watt power supply. Do not go over that.

Replacing power supply's on dell's is another story... Put a normal power supply in a dell and it fry's your whole computer.

i thought i had an agp i just opened my comp i think i saw brown slot but i forgot ill look again to b sur ebut yea its not a horizontal slot cause i only have room for my ethernet and another w/e but i do believe i have agp i have also read abt the power in other forums abt putting new cards n such some ppl were telling others that it would fry your comp but others disagreed and just said it was only if i added another hard drive or something else that takes alot of power but a video card wouldnt take too much but im not too sure what my supply is right now im adding that to my things to find out but r u sure chris that i have 8x agp??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom