Video Card Help?

etile

Beta member
Hi guys, I'm new here, so bear with me.

I have a Dell Dimension e520. Will a GeForce 9500 be a decent upgrade?

Relevant Info:
e520: Dell Website Specs
GeForce 9500: Amazon Link for the Card I Want

More Relevant Info: I added an extra 2GB DDR2RAM to my system, bringing the total to 4. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. My onboard soundcard broke, so I put in a new one, but I don't think that's relevant. Basically, I am a casual gamer and video watcher, and want to know if this card is a good choice. It is $60, and you get a $15 rebate in the mail.

Thank you for your time!

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
Welcome to CF!

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, that video card should work out very well. As it's not top of the line, I wouldn't expect miracles on newer games, it's still a pretty powerful GPU.

etile

Beta member
Oh, that's ok, no worries.

Thank you for your answer, though!
Another question, do I need to buy another power supply?

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
You only have a 305W power supply, I would definately upgrade to a 450W or 500W

shozzking

Daemon Poster
I'd go for a PSU from a more reputable brand, when PSUs go then they normally take multiple parts with them. I've seen a few of computers that were completely fried. The price alone should be a tip off.

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
Normally, I'm all about saving that extra money, but I'm going to have to go with shozzking on this one, haha. 11.99 for a 480W power supply is like buying a brand new car for $1000, you gotta wonder what evil things lurk in it's future...

Indigo

Fully Optimized
Corsair is really on a roll with their power supplies. Things to look for are a high powered single 12 volt rail. It's generally accepted that a single, high powered rail is preferable to having a PSU with multiple, lower amperage rails. I've used both and I like them well enough.

If cost is a concern, get a PSU with multiple rails with at least 20 amps on each rail (two rails is generally as far as I would recommend) and if you go single rail, the higher, the better. Like I said a moment ago, Corsair is doing a great job, but I've heard that Seasonic and OCZ units are great as well. I've had a few rosewills that are still going fine (no fires/explosions) but I refuse to touch Antec due to high failure rates that we have at work, and prior experience. I know plenty of folks that love those as well however, so take it how you want. :)