Video Card Help

Stampy

Baseband Member
Im looking to buy a new video card for my computer, and was just wondering what to look for. Im new to this whole thing and dont know what any of the stats or anything mean or what the do. So if anyone could fill me in with some of the info to become an informed buyer that would be great :D.

first of all, make sure you know what your doing BEFORE you put your comuputer together.

i would suggest any ati or nvdia

Well I have 2 computers for family gaming purposes... One has a Raedon 9600 Pro, and the other has a Geforce MX4000. I need help with what all the stats mean though. I have no idea what all of the stats and numbers mean when im looking for a video card XD. How much would a better video card cost me, and what would I look for in the stats?

256 mb,128mb,32mb,64mb, - these are all how much memory it can hold it think, get a 256 mb if you got the money. 512mb would probably be too much

Yea, I know what the memory is measured in. There are other things im weary about, i`ll give you an example of one. For a Geforce FX 5500: It has |a) 2048 x 1536 @ 75Hz |b) 6.4GB/sec. |c) 8X. I dont know what that stuff means, Oh, and what does the 5500 stand for?

2048 x 1535 @ 75 hz is the resolution of the screen, the higher the hz, the better the picture quality. (however should get a monitor that comes close to the vid cards hz)

8x is the interface that the video card is. there is agp x8 and x4, also there is pci-e which is x16. make sure your mobo and video card both say agp 8x if thats what kind of vid card it is

im not sure about everything else.

the 6.4GB/sec might be the transfer rate of the card to motherboard. The higher the better. All you can do is compare. Post what motherboard you have in both computers. This way we can check it out and see if you have one that enables 8x support. Also, just as an example a new AGP 8x card with 128MB of ram will run you anywhere from $30-200. Just depends what you are looking for. Post what you will be using it for and what requirements you have and I will make some suggestions, then you can compare them and decide.

Let's do like this. Post the vid card slot in the mobo (agp 4x/8x, pci, pci-e) and ur budget for the new vid card and then we will give u some good cards that will work with ur mobo and fit ur budget.

Before knowing these I would suggest a GeForce 6600GT, thats something like $150 and u can run all of the newest games with it.

Or settle for an x800xl or even an x850xt pe. 256mb or 512mb versions... lol... I'm an ati fan...

Back
Top Bottom