Vid card running hot like heck

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
Ok, so I'm playing Cal of Duty 2 on my 6600GT, and it just all the sudden freezes, an I can't do anything... so i touch the vid card heatsink and it burns like crap. I mean, it's been getting hot here, like 80F-90F, but i have the side panel off for better cooling, and i even put a huge desk fan to blow right into it, but it keeps freezing. I just turn on the computer, run COD2 for like 5-10 minutes and it just freezes. I tried taking down the detal, but still :eek: :eek: :eek:
This has never happened before...
Can anyone guess what could be wrong, i mean the only thng changed was the drivers,i got the new ones, but that's it...

thanx!

well, do you have exact temp reads? pop a second monitor on the system, and have a monitoring app running while you are gaming on the second monitor, then you can see what temp it is when if freezes.

6600's are like a frigin furnace. Those temps aren't overheating for a 6600. They can get around 120*C I do believe.

However, it is pretty hot. Get a zalman vf700, or vf900 if you can.

before buying an expensive hsf, pop off ur old one... the thermal paste/pad may be fried/non-existent. u might just need some artic silver 5 to get things back in check.

6600's are like a frigin furnace. Those temps aren't overheating for a 6600. They can get around 120*C I do believe.

Most GPU's can take that temps when they start to slow down.

Check to see that the wimpy stock fan is spinning at least :p. Dust, wires, anything getting caught and/or blocking or obstructing airflow.

before buying an expensive hsf, pop off ur old one... the thermal paste/pad may be fried/non-existent. u might just need some artic silver 5 to get things back in check.

I gotta agree :classic:

the vid card is not overclocked, and the heatsink is one of those big ones with the twisting vents and stuff, and it's made of copper. I even tried to stick another fan under it, but that doesnt' seem to do anything.

As for the temp, i don't know how to check that... i tried getting everest home, and click on the sensor thing, and it doesn't give the vid card temp, it only gives the HD, CPU, and Mobo..

Must be getting extremly hot... I had a eVGA 6600GT and the heatsink poped off and the idle temps hit at around 100C, much higher than that at load and it never froze... just artifacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom