Very confused about this video card

J187

Beta member
I bought a sparkle 8400GS to use in a low profile application. The card comes from the manufacturer with the IO shield attached and all three ports on the card, DVI, S out and then off to the side, remotely located with a ribbon is the analog. I need to use the analog as a low profile setting. NO problem it would SEEM because the card also comes with two low profile IO shields to replace the regular one. One is shaped for the DVI and the S out, the other is shaped for the analog and the S out. The problem? The DVI appears to be soldered to the board, at least it looks that way. I can't figure out how I would replace the DVI with the analog to put the shield on. :confused:

8400GS_D.jpg

I would image, since I haven't seen this card in person, that to use the card in a low profile case, you would need to use both I/O shields.

One, with the DVI/S-Video connection would attach to the card, the other would mount in the next slot above or below with the analog interface attached.

Another option, if you are only using one monitor, would be to get a DVI to VGA converter like this, and you should be able to find them pretty easily

I bought a sparkle 8400GS to use in a low profile application. The card comes from the manufacturer with the IO shield attached and all three ports on the card, DVI, S out and then off to the side, remotely located with a ribbon is the analog. I need to use the analog as a low profile setting. NO problem it would SEEM because the card also comes with two low profile IO shields to replace the regular one. One is shaped for the DVI and the S out, the other is shaped for the analog and the S out. The problem? The DVI appears to be soldered to the board, at least it looks that way. I can't figure out how I would replace the DVI with the analog to put the shield on. :confused:

8400GS_D.jpg

are you sure it didn't come with a DVI to D-sub adapter...? sounds like they assume someone would have the adapter to use with the DVI port, I know I have a few laying around from cards where I didn't use it, they're not expensive and a pretty handy for situations just like this, since they're so cheap I would buy at least two if you don't have any laying around...

DVI to D-Sub (analog) adapter

Thanks.. I figured just as you did when I just went back to the table to look at it again... this is a little disheartening though, because this will now eat up the ONLY two expansion slots in this POS slimline computer my mother in law bought... I knew about and actually had a converter, but with the converter, the computer no longer fit into the spot she likes to keep it on her desk. I think the solution will be use it with the analog in the other expansion slot and then if that slot is needed for something, have her buy a decent monitor with DVI. Thanks!

Oh BTW... I think we are right about them wanting us to use the second IO shield in another slot, but nothing explains why that second shield has the S out openening as well considering the only S out connector is soldered as well... now its merely a dust hole. Oh well.. Thanks again.

Yeah, not sure why it would also have the slot for s-video. They probably make a slimline card that has analog and s-video and just throw in a generic i/o shield.

Back
Top Bottom