Very BAD TIP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreaOneZero

Baseband Member
Very Great TIP!

Here's one.

Do not , I repeat , DO NOT install Linux on a Hard Drive with Windows 98,2k,nt,XP on it.Things will go wrong , especially if your attempting to do it ( that just tells me you dont know what your doing ).Ive lost 2 20 GIG drives because I decided not to read at least * 1 * manual on Linux Installation. Geez what a fool. Hope you learn from my mistakes. :D

Hmmm, funny, I have Dual Booted Linux with Windows XP, Windows 2000 Pro, and windows 98SE and not had a problem.

Ever consider that perhaps its just YOU that doesnt know what your doing?

I think thats what I hinted in my post " I hope you learn from MY MISTAKES " . However I should have been more specific.Usually where errors occur when you ( Me ) dont know what your doing , is doing the format / partition process . Even when you have a linux distro doing the process for you , when there's another OS on the HD , errors will occur.For example , I installed Mandrake on an HD with XP . It overwrote the original boot sectors , when then contributed to windows getting angry and destroying itself , oh , mandrake also tore itself up.This took me to format the entire hard drive and start all over again.Its just one of many errors an *uninformed * person like myself * ( those who are starting out with terms such as format , boot sectors ,etc; ) at that time* can make.A whole mess of people think installing a linux distro is the same as installing windows , but there are differences , big ones.Ofcourse once you RTFM ( like me after 2 failed installs ) , you begin to understand , and the errors begin to minimize or disipate.My message was geared to the uninformed , and there are lots.Hey , wait , I was clear on my post ...

"Ive lost 2 20 GIG drives because I decided not to read at least * 1 * manual on Linux Installation. Geez what a fool. Hope you learn from my mistakes."

Oh well , im even more specific now. :D

I feel your pain. lol.

When I first started wanting to mess with Linux, I thought that it would be simple, who needs instructions on how to PARTITION the HDD? Not me. Not my 30 Gigs of MP3's. Definatly not my important documents, homework, pictures....

Heh... I learned the hard way as you did, but I guarentee that you will never forget it and you will check everything twice when messing with Linux from now on... lol.

Do not , I repeat , DO NOT install Linux on a Hard Drive with Windows 98,2k,nt,XP on it.

THIS is what I responded to, this is very clearly a statement that is WRONG.

hmm well actualy i was going to partition my drive and install linux on the other side {im running win xp rite now} but after reading this ill be alil more careful but anyone thats done it i could use sum detailed instructions :D

The BEST way of partitioning a drive is using third party software. Best one is Powerquest's Partition Magic. I dual boot between SuSE Linux 8.1 and Microsoft Windows XP Home, and haven't had any problems except writing to the NTFS partition in Linux(which I soon found out doesn't work while in ext3.) The only further trouble I had was trying to convert my windows partition to FAT32 (what's the advantage of NTFS anyway?) It didn't do anything. I tried with partition magic, and it said it did it, but my Windows partition hadn't changed. :confused:

how about i triple boot with Linux.
i have Win98 and XP right now? :D
that would another accomplishement for me if i can make it work..:D

I have two seperate Windows XP pros. One is set up for games and the other is set up for normal running. I also have mandrake Linux, but I have not got it figured out very well yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom