vBulletin 4

Looks a bit like the default SMF theme crossed with the default Invision Power Board theme. I THINK that I like it.

I really don't like it TBH. My other forum just moved to it last night. It's really just a lot more confusing and really doesn't generally look that great IMO. It runs a lot slower on my other forum as well. Dunno if it's just because they're doing a bunch of tweaks or it's just slow in general.

X2

I say no.

You do know the only version available is beta 3. They stress not to use in a production environment. That means as a public accessible forum.
It's big and bulky but look at what it has to offer. Yes it's going to be confusing as a result of the afore mentioned statement. The learning curve is going to be steep and to some overwhelming.
As soon as my test site gets up I'm going to be checking security features then checking to see the difficulty factors on both sides of the screen. Look for a thread about it at my forum. I'm going to be real upfront about how things work and how to make it simple. I like simple.
Take your time and go through it. Have an open mind as to how they did things. Read the help and how to blogs at www.vbulletin.com.
Relax. You'll be fine.

If they stress for it not to be used in a working environment, they shouldn't have made it public on their official support forums. I understand they did this in order to receive feedback from a live environment, but first impressions are everything in this business. For one, they completely abandoned their core branding with this new design. It looks like a cross between IPB and SMF, and judging by the reactions so far, it's simply not working out with users. vBulletin distinguished itself by introducing a unique postbit and navigation bar. Both have been killed off in this new revision.

However, let's remember, design's not everything. Judging by the feature set, people still seem real underwhelmed with what they're getting - especially at the new increased licensing agreements.

It's only available to those those that bought on the pre-sale deal. Not the public at large.

Great, so they changed the distinguishable, clean look of vBulletin and replaced it with SMF. Color me unimpressed.

Not a hugely big fan of how it looks however looks arent everything and i could live with it considereing im not even round here that much anymore anyway
But asside from the new look David wouldnt it also be wise to look into what other features you get both in terms of for the members and in terms of security,reliiability etc

At the risk of sounding like a VB fanboy here's my reason for getting it.
I don't know enough about coding to use an alternative software. For me it's how simple it is to build a theme for it. The tabs and the plain jane appearance are just a painter's blank canvas. Now I do know some coding and I can make things work like I want but to a limited extent.
I got it for the features and not for how it looks. I can fix how it looks.
Now with how badly I seem to have upset some people, I wish I hadn't bought it. I really should have just tossed AA in the bin and walked away.

I opened a can of worms with a how to shop for forum software thread at CV. Give it a read and see what you think. You don't have to sign up or anything like that. I just thought some might like to see how others think about it.

http://www.computervitals.com/forum/shopping_forum_software-t13017.html

Back
Top Bottom