vBulletin 4 discussion thread.

Root: what are the advantages
SETI:none at this time.

Which leads to the next question...

Why is everyone so keen to upgrade then?

The only problems I ever noticed with this server was like last week but that was do to turning on IIS. Idk any other server problems you guys are talking about. It's ran perfect for me. It doesn't seem like David is going to upgrade the server any time soon so I don't really being a factor since the hardware isn't going to be upgraded anyways. Thats what donations are for anyways. 300$ isn't much when people are donating and thats really not much in the long run as or in the short run. Oh and as long as he backs up the sql we should be good for not losing any data since its backed up. It's a good habit to do backups anyways. I learned that the hard way. If the server bogs down do to the upgrade. Screw it. Redo it. load the 3.6.5 up. I haven't used Vbulletin personally, but if it's like any other one it shouldn't be to hard to do...

Anyways Iduno, maybe I would like the change in style. But I don't really care anymore now with this negativity. lol

When's that going to be released?

They're shooting for last quarter this year. But a lot of users are begging them not to rush it out. If it rolls over to first quarter 2011 then that's fine with us. Better to wait and give them time to go through it better than to rush it out like Nvidia and Microsoft.

And a few of you that know me, know I always play the wet blanket or Ahole in matters like this. I make you aware of problems with this and that and I make you stop and go hmmm. Besides stop and think for a moment. If it was really all that great and wonderful wouldn't have Buzz made the jump to VB 4 by now?
Why did I do it you ask? I wanted the blog and CMS. The CMS is a joke and the blog is boring. But getting in the driver's seat for me was the fun part. I make my own skins and got it pretty much like I want it.
But that was after pouring a lot of hours day after day in to seeing how it works and how to make it work for me. It's not push pull click click and you're done. It's 10 pots of coffee and a case of Monsters later, it might do what you want it to. Then they release the next version with template changes and new do-hickeys they add or take out. And every time what ever they do it breaks your theme and you have to go back in and fix it. I parked my ass on 4.0.2 and I'm not budging till 4.1.0 has been out for a couple of weeks.

The only problems I ever noticed with this server was like last week but that was do to turning on IIS.
No, IIS was turned on in order that David could try to see if there was anything wrong with his Apache config.

had you read further in that thread you'll have noticed that the actual cause of the problem was floods of requests originating in China, and to remedy this David has blocked a range of addresses.

Idk any other server problems you guys are talking about. It's ran perfect for me.
the one where for the past year it's run slowly most of the time,
it's been so many issues, like Davids free forums taking up all the resource, random hits from chinese addresses, I'm wondering what the next thing will be. there have been some days where the forum has been down for most of a day, or pages load so slowly it becomes impossible to actually browse, and there's no point in trying to post because once you've written a post you have no idea whether it'll actually submit of not...

It doesn't seem like David is going to upgrade the server any time soon so I don't really being a factor since the hardware isn't going to be upgraded anyways.
which is precisely the point, Davids got a theory that the problems were caused by one thing, but what if that theory is wrong? at the moment the plan is that he's just going to upgrade...
what if it does kill the server?

Oh and as long as he backs up the sql we should be good for not losing any data since its backed up. It's a good habit to do backups anyways.
I realise that,
I learned that the hard way. If the server bogs down do to the upgrade. Screw it. Redo it. load the 3.6.5 up. I haven't used Vbulletin personally, but if it's like any other one it shouldn't be to hard to do...
funny how you posted that after Seti already said that setting the thing up properly is a really rather big job,

Anyways Iduno, maybe I would like the change in style. But I don't really care anymore now with this negativity. lol

it's not negativity, it's rational questioning... you should know the difference.

as I said, I'm not against the upgrade, which is good, because it's definitely going to happen, David can't take money and then not upgrade!

the point I'm trying to make is that we should really be looking at what the benefits are, what are the new features?

Seti pointed out some interesting moderator enha?ncements, which I like the look of, but other than that what are the benefits

No, IIS was turned on in order that David could try to see if there was anything wrong with his Apache config.

had you read further in that thread you'll have noticed that the actual cause of the problem was floods of requests originating in China, and to remedy this David has blocked a range of addresses.

the one where for the past year it's run slowly most of the time,
it's been so many issues, like Davids free forums taking up all the resource, random hits from chinese addresses, I'm wondering what the next thing will be. there have been some days where the forum has been down for most of a day, or pages load so slowly it becomes impossible to actually browse, and there's no point in trying to post because once you've written a post you have no idea whether it'll actually submit of not...

which is precisely the point, Davids got a theory that the problems were caused by one thing, but what if that theory is wrong? at the moment the plan is that he's just going to upgrade...
what if it does kill the server?

I realise that,

funny how you posted that after Seti already said that setting the thing up properly is a really rather big job,

it's not negativity, it's rational questioning... you should know the difference.

as I said, I'm not against the upgrade, which is good, because it's definitely going to happen, David can't take money and then not upgrade!

the point I'm trying to make is that we should really be looking at what the benefits are, what are the new features?

Seti pointed out some interesting moderator enha?ncements, which I like the look of, but other than that what are the benefits

Haven't the forums been running fine for you for a week or so now?

They're shooting for last quarter this year. But a lot of users are begging them not to rush it out. If it rolls over to first quarter 2011 then that's fine with us. Better to wait and give them time to go through it better than to rush it out like Nvidia and Microsoft.

And a few of you that know me, know I always play the wet blanket or Ahole in matters like this. I make you aware of problems with this and that and I make you stop and go hmmm. Besides stop and think for a moment. If it was really all that great and wonderful wouldn't have Buzz made the jump to VB 4 by now?
Why did I do it you ask? I wanted the blog and CMS. The CMS is a joke and the blog is boring. But getting in the driver's seat for me was the fun part. I make my own skins and got it pretty much like I want it.
But that was after pouring a lot of hours day after day in to seeing how it works and how to make it work for me. It's not push pull click click and you're done. It's 10 pots of coffee and a case of Monsters later, it might do what you want it to. Then they release the next version with template changes and new do-hickeys they add or take out. And every time what ever they do it breaks your theme and you have to go back in and fix it. I parked my ass on 4.0.2 and I'm not budging till 4.1.0 has been out for a couple of weeks.

With all due respect... but is Buzz really the VBulletin Oracle? There are several high profile forums that have made the switch to VBulletin.

With all due respect... but is Buzz really the VBulletin Oracle? There are several high profile forums that have made the switch to VBulletin.

No But he does know his snizzle when it comes to VB. Setting it up and keeping it going.
What you don't see is all the questions, problems that go with out resolution, and a lot of the VB customer base going over to IPB at the VB help forum.

So if the oil slick on your pool is on fire, don't be so quick to jump in.

Haven't the forums been running fine for you for a week or so now?

You say that but I'm currently browsing in my phone and just got the message page cannot load because server stopped responding.

Usually I'd get a message lime that because the signal dropped. But I'm at home connected by wifi.

And to be fair the server wasn't always flakey all the time. How are we sure that the errors ar fixed? If you say you're sure I do believe you. After all you've got access to more information than I do. But it seems a risky move to upgrade everything not knowing that it'll work...
(is there a demo version that you couldn't on a teat server to check it out?).

Back
Top Bottom