VB6 and Visual Basic.Net

nstepho

In Runtime
I have been using VB6 at school, and was wondering what the difference between it and VB.NET is. Also, do they have the same syntax, commands etc so I would be able to use VB.NET to do everything I do in VB 6?
Thanks.

I don't know much vb.net but I hear it is what everyone uses in terms of vb. I myself am in the second class of vb6 and my teacher gave me the wrong test it was actually for vb.net and i still got like 95% but i did notice slight change in syntax. What school do you go to? What book do you use? I only ask those questions because someone told me that they are not going to be teaching anymore vb6.

The syntax is slightly different, and .Net will allow you to do a few different things, but for the most part the are the same when it comes to what you can do. The only problem with .Net is that if you want to release the program, whoever else is going to use it has to have the .net framework in order for that program to run. VB 6 will run on any xp machine, and most older windows os's as well.

Bloodstalker999 said:
What school do you go to? What book do you use?
I'm only in high school, and we don't use any books. The teacher just shows us what to do and demonstrates with a projector, It's only simple stuff.
Also, how do you save your project as an executable in VB.NET? I can't find it anywhere.

File> Save "Project1.exe" Something like that, I know its under file. However im not currently looking at it so i couldnt tell you right off the top of my head.

you mean like a source save? im not sure if its the same but from what i have done it saves the .vbp and a text doc. then asks if u want to add it to source save....

When I try to save as an EXE from the save like that when you load it, it says its an invalid application or something, and I have the framework...

{I'm talking about Visual Basic.net 2003 here}

Ill post a screenshot for VB 6 and for .net is it a completed app? and is it a full project, not just a single file?

That and the process is a little bit different. I dont have .net installed at this time, but it is a different command. its not like in VB6. If i recall its like "Make Project1" or something like that. Its in the same drop down menu as Run and Debug etc...

For VB6 To make an executable it will look like this.

vb6.JPG

Back
Top Bottom