VB is it worth learning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not necessarily better but it is used more in the development industry. Overall usage and popularity ranking of the three top web languages would be: PHP > Java > C#

I see tons of javascripting used, but not for building things. In webpages javascripting is used all the time, but that is different than java. All the experiences I have had with development have not been java. So I was just speaking from what I have used in my time working with development.

I don't really know to much about the business side of things, but what i can say is i've been learning VB for over a year as a compulsary aspect of my Computing course at school and i can say it seems pretty crap compared to the other languages i've tried (albeit, none of them for a year).

I don't really know to much about the business side of things, but what i can say is i've been learning VB for over a year as a compulsary aspect of my Computing course at school and i can say it seems pretty crap compared to the other languages i've tried (albeit, none of them for a year).

You're doing the same course I did by the sounds of it. Did they start you off with Pascal in year 1?

You're doing the same course I did by the sounds of it. Did they start you off with Pascal in year 1?

I'm in year 12, first AS year. Not done any pascal.

Gotta make Space Invaders with VB at the moment, did some calculators, arrays, and a snakes game before that.

Not sure why they insist on teaching you old and dying languages. It does still teach programming basics but it would be beneficial to learn a current language like C++ right away. Learning and using the language is completely free with the right tools so it's not like it would cost them anything.

Oh beleive me, i question them every day. The exam boards questions are all in pseudo code too, so you could learn any language. I think they just teach VB because it's supposed to be easier than C++ and other languages, but i tend to disgagree - i found C++ quite easy to do powerful stuff.

Currently I'm a CIT major. (Computer Information Tech). I've already taken a PHP class and have 1 more to take. They also have me take 2 Java classes. There's a few other odds and ends as well. My brother in law works for a large company and his job is almost entirely Java. He's a Computer Science major.

Sooo in other words my vote is Java. If I could go back I'd switch my major to Computer Science to learn even more programming languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom