VB is it worth learning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macraigma

In Runtime
Is VB Scripting worth learning now that I see all the other languages out there? I know HTML and .ASP and just the basics of SQL and I want to fully understand a language and possibly get certified. Which one do you suggest I learn? Ive got a networking degree under my belt and I'm A+ certified I want something that can compliment those things nicely =) thanks for looking!

Not really...
Where I work we program with only C#, html, css, and javascript. Then sql, but no one uses vb. It shoudln't be hard to pick up if you know how to work with javascript.

Don't confuse VBScript with Visual Basic. Two completely different things with different purposes. Scripting languages can be very useful in a variety of system administrator roles. A programming language like Visual Basic would be useful for work as a software developer.

right, I am saying vb isn't worth learning much of, and it is close enough that you wouldn't have an issue if you know another close language. Just like vb scripting, if you are doing web stuff, java scripting is more useful.

Java is a great language to learn because it is so easy to learn. it is also Object oriented language, which is a big benefit.
Downside, java isn't really used in business programming. javascript is used a lot in webpages but java is not really that useful unless you want to go really far in it and program only java stuff.
C# is also pretty easy to learn and also is a OO language. it is used to build webpages (in the companies I have worked for). If they use microsoft programming software it is the default I am pretty sure.
I would say go with C#. it will provide you with alot of the benefits that java does, and by association you will learn java (with some syntax stuff differing)

really, both work. I woudl say C# only because you would rather have that syntax learned than the java stuff because C# is more prevalent in the business world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom