using vnc in linux to operate a vista machine

Hid_Enigma

In Runtime
using vnc in linux to operate a XP Pro machine

Not sure if this is possible, but is there a way to use a gui interface tight vnc viewer on linux to connect to the vnc server on a windows xp Pro box. Both computers are on a local network. Or is there a good program similar to win media player classic that will allow me to play movies in linux? I am still new to linux and don't know to much about what i can really do with it. I know enough to move around it and run it as a basic user

Hi,

You seem to be asking to very different questions here. I will answer your VNC question first, and then talk about your second question.

The answer to your VNC question is yes it is possible. You will need a couple of things to do it. One is a VNC server running on your windows box. The other thing is you will need a VNC viewer on your linux box.

On your Windows box you will need to download the VNC.exe file. From there you will want to install the program. You can choose to install the server and viewer, or just the server it is up to you. But you need the server part.

On your linux box will need to install a vnc viewer. I don't know which distro of linux you are using but I will give you the commands for a couple of different ones.
Code:
sudo apt-get install vnc [color=blue]this is for Ubuntu and Debian Distros[/color]

su -
yum install vnc [color=blue]this is for Fedora and RHEL[/color]
From here you will install the vnc viewer. Once that is installed you can go about setting up your server and viewing your windows box.

To set up your server you will need to go to the start menu and then click on Launch tightvnc server. The first time you start it you will be brought to the properties window. There you will need to enter a password if you want to if not you can remove the check mark. Then you will need to click Apply, and OK. Then it will close to an icon on your toolbar.

To get access to your desktop from your linux box you will need to open your vnc viewer. It should be listed in the Applications -> Internet -> VNC. From there you will have to enter an ip of the computer you are connecting to, then a password if needed, and you should be in.

Ok, I think that I will stop there for now. I know that I didn't answer the second question, but I through out a lot of information in that little bit and don't want to confuse you that much. As you said yourself that you are just a beginner with linux. I will let you get your head and hands wrapped around that and see if you can get it working. Best of luck , it shouldn't be that hard for you.

Cheers!

Thats exactly what I thought there must be a configuration error somewhere with my Linux partition. Since it didnt let me in I thought maybe it wont work. Thanks for the help

You welcome. I hope that you get it working. If you need anymore help just let me know and I will do my best to find an answer for you.

I have it working need to use Virtual Network Connection to actually connect the only problem with it is that it freezes the desktop but the cursor can move and thats it. I read online that, that is a problem with vnc running on linux. If you know any solutions to this than any help would be appreciated.

Hid Enigma - I have never had any problems running vnc on linux... Though I would suggest that you check your firewall... You may have to allow some ports in order to stream it...

Back
Top Bottom