Using PCMCIA Wireless Adapter on older laptop?

LOLZpersonok

In Runtime
I believe this is the best fitting category for this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I want to set up my Wireless Card to work on my older IBM ThinkPad laptop. It is a PCMCIA card; UTStarcom DMC100. The driver, which is designed for Windows XP apparently also works on Windows 2000, which this laptop is running.

The device didn't come with any wireless networking software, it was meant to use Windows XP's built in Wireless capabilities. But considering the fact that Windows 2000 doesn't have any Wireless Networking Managing software, I had to download some of my own, which is a T-Mobile Wireless Networking Manager.

The card works. It detects my WiFi networks and others around me, but strangely I cannot connect to any of the networks. I will select the network I want to connect to but everytime I go to connect to my network, I enter the network password correctly and click connect. It will then say 'Searching for IP Address' or something like that for about 2 minutes.

When it starts looking for the IP address, the Windows notification will say 'Unable to find a certificate to log you on' or something. I will not be able to connect to the Internet just yet.

After the 2 minutes is up, the software will say 'Failed to connect to the network'. Everytime I retry, it will always fail, even when I restart the laptop.

I need help please! I will give further information if it is so required of me to do so.

Do you have SP4 on the Win 2000 machine? I know a machine running XP SP2 won't connect to my network but one with SP3 on it will. The latest SP for Win 2000 may contain the files needed for the security protocol you are running on your router.

Be sure you are using the correct protocols when trying to access the network; Win can be pretty picky about this.

You will want to go the the Properties page for Wireless and do the Properties for the wireless network driver, IIRC.

Make sure that you are using the correct protocols (TKIP or whatever) and set the DNS server to the IP address of your router or firewall.

You'll have to forgive my vagueness-- I am running on a Linux machine at the moment and don't have WIndows handy to give you specific directions.

Do you have SP4 on the Win 2000 machine? I know a machine running XP SP2 won't connect to my network but one with SP3 on it will. The latest SP for Win 2000 may contain the files needed for the security protocol you are running on your router.

Yes, Service Pack 4 is correctly installed and functional on the laptop.

Be sure you are using the correct protocols when trying to access the network; Win can be pretty picky about this.

You will want to go the the Properties page for Wireless and do the Properties for the wireless network driver, IIRC.

Make sure that you are using the correct protocols (TKIP or whatever) and set the DNS server to the IP address of your router or firewall.

You'll have to forgive my vagueness-- I am running on a Linux machine at the moment and don't have WIndows handy to give you specific directions.

I'm not sure what you mean by the properties page for the wireless. I think you mean the properties page for the wireless card though. I also am not sure where to find the protocols settings.

Back
Top Bottom