using a tv for monitor?

well its a months salary for me. so i guess i got time to think it over. will look pretty cool though!

resolution and refresh rates are usually better on a monitor than a TV, (very large/good TV's excluded from that statement!).

so IMO you're better off buying a monitor that can accept TV signals, (either HDMI or composite). than getting a TV and running composite out from your computer to try to use the TV as a monitor.

100_0057.jpg

i use a 37in 1080P Vizio for my second monitor.

just make sure that your GPU has enough Horsepower to do it, and use a DVI-HDMI cord.
and have separate speakers for your sound, thats all that i do.

Though iv never seen 720P TV used as a monitor, i hope it wouldnt look to stretched.

there are quite a few monitors now that can accept a variety of TV inputs (composite/HDMI etc)...

the point of what I was getting at is if you want to spend sat $100 get a monitor that may accept TV input,
don't get a $100 TV and run a svideo or composite out from your computer because the resolution will be horrible to the point where it's practically unsellable.

budget monitors may display TV fine, budget TV's generally won't display PC graphics fine.

If you're buying a really really good quality TV, then that'll accept PC inputs no trouble.
in the last house share I was in one of the guys had a nice 42" LCD TV that had HDMI composite scart and VGA inputs, and it did display all resolutions really (really) nicely. but that was a £700 TV (£ not $).

for the OP.
would I recommend that you get this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panason...HDTV/9235142.p?skuId=9235142&id=1218064394100

not really.
it's 720p, 1280x 720 is the maximum resolution that's going to display.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

what you need in a TV for it to be a decent PC screen to is Full 1080 HD (1920×1080)

point in case, the resolution that I run, (on my laptop) is 1400x1050 (it's 4:3 not 16:9). that looks clear and crisp,
I can fit enough on the screen, it's technically a little better resolution than full 1080P HD TV. (more H lines)

To be honest I couldn't imagine (more than) doubling the diagonal from a 15" screen to a 32" screen so I'd have 4 times the real estate on my desktop, whilst also (more than) halving the resolution!

whilst it's such an unheard of brand it may as well be inbranded
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...HDTV/9218544.p?id=1218061794284&skuId=9218544

is probably going to suit your purpose a lot more,
same input specs (lots of HDMI and a PC port, as well as scart composite etc

it's $80 more, but there is a lot more than $80 usability there with the Full HD.

I know that 720p can technically look like 1080i, but that effectively halves the refresh rate too making it unusable as a PC screen that you're actually going to study in detail.

Though iv never seen 720P TV used as a monitor, i hope it wouldnt look to stretched.
it wouldn't look stretched, the aspect ratio is the same, but the amount of Lines vertical is halves and the amount of pixels horizontal is halves. (so there is only 1/4 the amount of pixels on the screen).

100_0057.jpg

i use a 37in 1080P Vizio for my second monitor.

just make sure that your GPU has enough Horsepower to do it, and use a DVI-HDMI cord.
and have separate speakers for your sound, thats all that i do.

Nice setup you got there...:)

Don't you feel like you are sitting a little too close to that 37 incher though?

so next check i am going to start saving for the tv...... unless this check is a bigger one.... HMMMM :D

Back
Top Bottom