User Login for business internet

TotalCarnage739

Beta member
Hello,

I am helping a local bar get set up and he has two internet slow DSL for his customers and he will be offering a membership for something he is Black Card Membership. He wants his black card users to be able to use his higher speed internet. However this is where my expertise ends. He wants ever black card user to have a user name and password. He doesn't just want to give them the wifi user name and password he wants each member to have their own so one member Joe can't give it to his friend Bob and they both be on the high speed. I have looked for routers that I can create multiply users however to no use. I'm trying to figure out if I build a server and put software on the server like ubuntu or an Microsoft server is there away to put multiply users and let each one have there on user name and password. They will not have access to the server I just need a portal to be created for like when Joe arrives. He connects to the black card membership. He types in his user name and password a database authenticates him and then lets him out on the network. The user doesn't want to spend a lot of money so if this can be done using ubuntu if someone could point me in the right direction this would help. Also to set it up for the black card membership is good for one year to give them a warning like with 30 days left by e-mail and when they sign on their membership will expire.

Thanks

David

First thing that comes to mind would be possibly something like a Ubuntu domain controller?

Do the user accounts exist currently? If so...Not sure how you would tie that to the existing userbase unless it's using some kind of federated service.

What you're looking for is going to be more complicated than your typical consumer grade home wifi setup. Probably the easiest way to do it is to take a home router and flash it with compatible third party firmware, like DD-WRT or Tomato. Usually there will be an option to setup a captive portal, which forces all users to a landing page where you can make them enter credentials, accept an agreement, enter payment, etc. There are other ways to do it but that's probably the simplest.

Since we're talking user accounts, you're going to need some kind of server or service to host a database on. The easiest way to do that will be to pay a hotspot AAA service, otherwise you'll need to host your own AAA server and database.

Back
Top Bottom