useless features and software bundles: my rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
solution:
build it yourself.

I smell sarcasm, yet I have to bite anyway. Is there a way of actually building a webcam or digicam or camcorder yourself? If so, you got any info or links on the subject?

You know what bugs me? People that complain insistently.

If you don't want an LED keyboard, don't buy an LED keyboard.

If you don't want a webcam with a mic, don't buy a webcam with a mic.

If you don't want to use emoticons in an instant messenger, turn them off.

If you don't want to use the special effects in a video editing program, don't use them.

Simply, really.

You miss the point of the post.
As for your advice, finding a gadget that doesn't come with all these frills, bells and whistles, is like finding a needle in a haystack. That was more or less the point.
Also, you know what else bugs me… people who complain insistently about people who complain insistently. It bugs me so much I find myself complaining insistently over it.

You know what buggs me? When ever I install some software like Avast or AVG I get the option to install the yahoo or google toolbar I have never had wanted or used a tool bar that gets added to my browser. I always click the no thanks but I dont think that I should have to.

Yeah I hate that on paid software, I don't mind it on free software. But what I really hate is when there is no box to tick, and it just installs these "helpful" things by itself and then I have to figure out where this new "helpful" thing just came from. Oh, and I just love it when uninstalling the original program doesn't make the new "helpful" program go away.

Solution go to your local pc store and look at them demo'd :)

General public want a intgrated device that does everything rather then multiple devices hence why universal remotes sell per example

I never actually thought of going to the store and checking out a demo. However, I got Wal-Mart and RadioShack. I don't know of any computer stores any where near me. I even did a google for Maryland+"computer store" and there were like 7 that popped up, but none of them within an hour's drive. And the nearest required me to go through downtown Baltimore... NO!!
In the mean time, I will just bug everyone on youtube who has a nice looking video "dude, what did you use to record this video with?" and pray I get an answer that isn't "a $600 camcorder" and will be holding out for the answer "a $20 webcam called…"

And yeah I get that the general public wants a one million trick pony, even if the pony can't do even one of the tricks half way decent.

I divide the electronics consumer public into three basic categories:

1. Casual Buyer (two subdivisions):
a) The mall rat: female, impulsively wastes money on anything shiny, sparkly, colorful, fluffy. The captivating image on the packaging is 90% of the sale.
b) Macho techy: male, impulsively buys gadgets that make macho claims of power and capability. He has to have it to keep up with everyone else, or he might look weak in the eyes of those who have a device with more horse power. The techno-jargon on the box is 100% of the sale. Despite the fact he can't understand even one word of it.

2. The Thrifty Old People (two subdivisions):
a) Little Old Lady: she's been thinking about moving up from VHS to DVD. After all, her upgrade from gas/electric-oven to microwave-machine 8 years ago really paid off. However, what are these MP3's I keep hearing about? and what is an iPod?
b) Stubborn Old Man: he knows more than the punk kid at the counter, after all, he was running programs on a Commador64 back when that kid was in diapers, so he knows computers. He also knows that if a $10 item has 20 features, that's 2 features per dollar; now that's a bargain!

3. The informed shopper (two subdivisions)
a) Brainy Smurf: he thinks he knows it all. He's done a little homework on these subjects, and now walks around with the confidence that he is an expert in the field. In reality, he knows more than the average Joe, but not enough to differentiate between quality and marketing hype.
b) Poppa Smurf: He actually does know it all, realizes 90% of everything is pure over priced crap, and those 20 hyped features are actually three features divided into various words and fluff-lingo. He spends his life searching in vane for quality, and once in a great while he'll find it... just in time for the technology to become obsolete next year.

There is yet another kind of electronics shopper, but they are as rare as a college professor who doesn't suffer from megalomania, or as rare as a kind hearted soul who comments on other peoples youtube videos. He is...

The McGuiver Guru!
These people know more about electronics and physics than the heads of NASA. They haven't bought a DVD player because they realized they could modify their old CD player to read DVD's. It just dawned on them one day that if they add the right potentiometer, cross the circuit with an old digital watch circuit, siphone power from the mobo's speaker pin, soldered a paper clip to the lightscribe laser, they could make this thing read and right to a DVD... at 1x read, and -12x write. sure, it only burns a DVD at 12KBps, but in four and half days he'll have his 2 hour Carl Sagan documentary on DVD! But in the mean time, he has this idea on how to make an old Atari play N64 games... all he needs is a telephone, a pocket calculator, and some daisy chained multimeters.

most of us here are not 95% of the worlds stupid people who think the internet can be shut off like a light switch. So companies have to try and make money off of them somehow... All I can say to this is:

Bloatware. 'nuff said. :p

Do you ever post short posts? Just that I have noticed your posts as of late are excessively long no offence just a bit peculiar.

I am a combination of a mall rat and a poor mc giver afterall I tried to power a scalextric track with an old 400W psu at 5 am and failed :(

I am a combination of a mall rat and a poor mc giver afterall I tried to power a scalextric track with an old 400W psu at 5 am and failed :(

You an shumway need to start hanging out, now the PSU an scalextric incident, did your house catch fire? did the cars melt? did the PSU blow up? Just what the **** where you drinking at 5am you decided to play with model racing cars, did it have a picture of a duck on the side? Home cleaning products are not for ingestion.

most of us here are not 95% of the worlds stupid people who think the internet can be shut off like a light switch.
It can't?
hmmm, I'm pretty sure Congress (or the UN) can in fact declare the internet to be a terrorist tool and have it switched off by illegalizing ISP's, demoting them to telephone and TV service providers only.

Do you ever post short posts? Just that I have noticed your posts as of late are excessively long no offence just a bit peculiar.
No sir, I never post small posts. My long posts on various forums earned me the nick name "Bandwidth Beast" on a pro-wrestling fan forum.
My longest post I believe was 35 pages long (although at least 7 of those pages were quotes). I've been extremely conservative here.
In one day I had made 4 posts, one was approximately 18 pages long, the other 14, the other 8, the other 6.
One time I posted a 72 - 75 page Buffy The Vampire Slayer fan fiction of mine on a forum. The forum only allowed about 5 pages of text. So I kept creating one post after another. Eventually I was nearly at the end of page 2 on that thread of posts by the time I finally posted it all. The admin threatened to ban me if I ever did that again. But I was able to convince the admin to allow either .txt files to be uploaded, or at least little zip files. So it was all good and we all lived happily ever after.
It's a good thing the threads didn't come with a post limit, I would have had to start "thread two of my story" LOL

I once got a phone call from my ISP telling me they were going to disconnect my service if I didn't stop downloading bit torrents. I told them I was just making lots of posts on web forums. They told me no one could consume 200GB of data in a month based on texting. I gave them the URL to my Mickie James fan blog, and they apologized for accusing me of torrent usage... then continued to exclaim they'd still shut off my service if I ever used up 200+GB in a month again.

OK OK, I made that last part up.

I am a combination of a mall rat and a poor mc giver afterall I tried to power a scalextric track with an old 400W psu at 5 am and failed
If I had to put myself under one of those consumer categories, I'd have to be the Brainy Smurf... I think I know what I'm talking about; but I don't.

You an shumway need to start hanging out, now the PSU an scalextric incident, did your house catch fire? did the cars melt? did the PSU blow up? Just what the **** where you drinking at 5am you decided to play with model racing cars, did it have a picture of a duck on the side? Home cleaning products are not for ingestion.

Pah I wish. I was actually doing it in the coach house so the house didn't burn down, the cars did melt/fused to the track well actually the little metal element did which makes contact with the rails not the car. Magners actually during the building process before that a bottle of tequila then a pint of liquor cabinet surprise each, was great. I love taking things apart and rebuilding them, this was just an extension of that and a product of it to. I actually destroyed the transformer brick to harvest the wire to use with my speakers and friends xbox, I needed to convert phono to 3.5mm but both were male connectors.

Was using my dads laptop before and he has 4 toolbars with the same purpose just that they were added by him not reading terms and conditions. He is a managing director of a Major US company with 700 people he can boss about and yet his computers are so impossibly slow because of lack of maintenance. The worst part as he just believes its the isp I had to show him my phone (n95) was faster at loading pages then his laptop he still didn't believe me thought my phone was magically using 3g and combining the connections which it wasn't.

Those guys know nothing of managing their systems in my experience. Load their laptops up with bugs all the time and get mad at us that their system runs slow every couple of months and needs to be cleaned off.

Pah I wish. I was actually doing it in the coach house so the house didn't burn down, the cars did melt/fused to the track well actually the little metal element did which makes contact with the rails not the car. Magners actually during the building process before that a bottle of tequila then a pint of liquor cabinet surprise each, was great. I love taking things apart and rebuilding them, this was just an extension of that and a product of it to. I actually destroyed the transformer brick to harvest the wire to use with my speakers and friends xbox, I needed to convert phono to 3.5mm but both were male connectors.

Salty you rich git :p

I love the inventive ideas we brits when we are ****ed much more original than some other countries I could mention.

You miss the point of the post.
As for your advice, finding a gadget that doesn't come with all these frills, bells and whistles, is like finding a needle in a haystack. That was more or less the point.

You're right, I did miss the point. What was your point again?

You're complaining because you can't shop, is basically what I'm seeing.

There are loads of keyboards without illuminated keys, and the ones that do have illuminated keys have an off switch.

And then you complain that software installs bloatware. Well, here's a tip: use better software. None of the software that I use ever forces me to install bloatware. Sure, they have the option to, but that's called FREEWARE! These people are spending countless hours coding programs so that you can use them free of charge. Guess what, they get sponsored by people who want to promote their products. If you want to continue using freeware, then learn how to uncheck a box.

I agree it is annoying on paid software, however, it's still a checkbox. Click it. Be done with it.

And then, find something worthy to complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom