USB vs PCI

well.. I have seen some pci cards that actually have a more than good range, and work well, so did with usb sticks.
But the price of those are close to a secund hand linksys wrt54gx

if You get one of those, and install 3rd party firmware, and crank up a bit the transmitting power, I'm sure You get superior range, speed, and relayablity.

pros:
secund hand it costs cheap..
with a cheap lan cable You can realy freely place it where You get GOOD signal
easy to set up..
will enable You to connect other stuff to it (like Yours laptop, for example..)

cons
You need a stupid adaptor to make it work.. wich means it may not be ideal for notebooks/laptops..
it has toooo much functions, and maybe You get more than what You need..
it costs equal secund hand as a dumb usb stick (cheapest ones) so as mentiond, it may know too much..

conclusion:
depends on a few things.. if You get undesireable signal strenght, its a blessing. If a dumb usb stick provides enough, its overkill.

id personally go with netgear, but its personal preference i at the end of the day.
oh and another pro of having a pci is that no one can fiddle with it / harder to break :)

anything PCI for me, but D-link and Linksys are preferred brands. I've found that I get better performance from PCI. Someone mentioned that USB is nice because you can buy an extension cable to move it, but you can get some for PCI cards depending on the brand/model.

I got a linksys PCI, it works great, easy to install, and I pick up the neighbor's wireless. (I live in a 2 story)

Back
Top Bottom