USB problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zill

Solid State Member
Basically, my main point of this post is to ask the difference between the two different types of USB ports I have.

Inside the slot, one type has a long horizontal bar in the center, and one has 4 metal prongs sticking out in a horizontal line.

I only have one port with the prong-type and it's broken - missing one of the prongs - and I'm looking to buy a replacement(not risking a repair shop again unless absolutely necessary) so I was wondering if someone could give me some kind of ... official name or model number that I can identify the pronged USB port as? Also, whether there's a difference or not in the performance or whether the prong-type is outdated or something?

Out of all the many USB-attachment stuff that I have, it's only my nearly-a-decade-old Logitech QuickCam that requires the prong-type.

Any help is well appreciated!
Thanks a bunch!!!

Well ... I don't think it's a firewire because it's shaped exactly like a typical USB only the insides look different. Look, here is the slot plug for my webcam, it'll give you an idea of how the inside of this prong-type USB is, if it even turns out to be a USB port at all.

However, the upside of the webcam plug DOES have the USB symbol on it and everything.

----Camshot----
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/xioxioxio/Misc/cammplug.png
-------------------
(sorry for the .png filetype, I know some people dislike it)

I think the image is "USB Type A Plug"
and you need to plug it into an "USB Type A Jack"

That's what I think it is from looking at the picture.

Ahhh, okay. Type A it must be, then.
I'll go with that, thanks a bunch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom