USB Ports not working... Help?

un4given1

In Runtime
So everything is going fine... I have several peripherals hooked up via USB including my wireless mouse, ipod dock, external hdd and printer. But then my HDD stopped responding. It was just hooked up to another computer and then I hooked it up to the front ports. I figured it was the front ports not working because the mouse (hooked up to the back) was still working and nothing I plugged into the front worked. Now, for some reason, nothing works via USB.

What else can I do to figure out what is going on.

I'm running XP Pro on an AMD64 X2 3800+ cpu. 1024mb DDR2 RAM on an ASUS M2NBP-VM motherboard.

Oh yeah, device manager says everything is "working properly".

hmm let me get this right its all usb that are not working or is it just the front ones, if it was the front ones only then check the connections to the mobo inside.
If it is all the usb's check in the BIOS that they are turned on and if they are maybe try resetting bios , or check for latest bios vesion

EDIT>check event viewer as well this may tell you something
also did mobo come with disk if so it may have a diagnostic prigrame otherwise download ultimate boot cd http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ this has tools to check mobo

I just pulled the batt out of the mobo and still same thing.

Whenever I plug in any device (example, I just plugged in a jump drive) a pop up comes up in the bottom corner saying "USB device unrecognized". So it knows it's there, just doesn't wanna work.

hmm sounds like maybe a driver error on the bios chip , but i cannot be certain, have you tried resetting the bios and flashing with the latest version of firmware,

you could also try theis > download a live cd of linux and try USB on there

go into device manager and click on usb controller and click roll back drivers , you could also try scan hardware for changes

these are the steps i would take if anyone else has any suggestions please add them as i don't know everything

So Not one single USB device works, Cool. These USB devices work in other machine? You are just trying 1 USB device not all at same time? Do you know your motherboard type? Go into device managed and uninstall the USB drivers then click on the button (find new hardware), it should scan for new devices eg. USB and reload them, we are just doing this to make sure the drivers are loaded correctly. Oh you will need PS2 mouse or keyboard if USB not working.

That is weird....I can't imagine why all usb ports would stop working at the same time. You sure you don't have a virus or something?

Back
Top Bottom