USB cable question

The device is meant to connect to one pc.

I wanted to power it by the pc the screen im capturing is on and have the data sent to the pc i am using to stream.

Found out earlier that won't exactly work so it's a moot point.

No that's not what I need.

I need it where only ONE cable supplies power and the other cable is for data only.

Here's a drawing of what I want.

View attachment 14428

I do however have a dual USB A board from a PC and an extra USB A male to male cable so I could make what I need if a specific cable doesn't exist.
They don't make these, the added USB is meant to be supplemental power. In either case if the power side (marked) is plugged into a wall uart it would still provide power to the capture card to keep the screen signal flowing.

But it would also send power to the USB port of the computer which I do not want.

However with the cable I made yesterday to do that I found it won't work at least it seemed not to work so both power and data must be from the same USB port.

But it would also send power to the USB port of the computer which I do not want.

However with the cable I made yesterday to do that I found it won't work at least it seemed not to work so both power and data must be from the same USB port.
That's not how it works. You can't send a 5v power back to the computer, the supplementary power cable is there to add additional current for high load devices connecting to the female end of the cable.

If both male usb cables have their power wires tied together then if i plug in the one end to the wall wart and leave the other end unplugged I will get 5 volts on the other male end. Unless the cable has a diode or other circuitry in it to prevent that from happening.

If both male usb cables have their power wires tied together then if i plug in the one end to the wall wart and leave the other end unplugged I will get 5 volts on the other male end. Unless the cable has a diode or other circuitry in it to prevent that from happening.
USB pre-type C is designed to not send power backwards. That's why they don't make straight up type A to type A cables because you'll fry controllers that way. I have the exact able I sent you and have used it in my car as well as in a similar scenario you described except with an external BD burner. The power doesn't go backwards.

Back
Top Bottom