USB Cable question

Celticsfan

Banned
If I wanted to connect my flash drive somewhere easier to my computer instead of the back, would I have to get a usb 2.0 male to female cable? I think that is the correct name of the cable M to F? Isn't it?

thx

If I wanted to connect my flash drive somewhere easier to my computer instead of the back, would I have to get a usb 2.0 male to female cable? I think that is the correct name of the cable M to F? Isn't it?

thx

I am guessing you want your flash drive connected somewhere with in reach while sitting down?

then this is for you

41nFNo8A7XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Or something like this which isnt quite as nice

usb-extension-cable-active-amplifier-cable-17ft.jpg

I think I have been using a male to male USB cable. Male end in back of my PC and I am plugging my Flash drive to the male end of my usb cable. Is that even possible? I am wondering if this could of corrupted my flash drive.

What does a usb male to male cable look like, plz?

thx

I'm not sure you need a male to male cable.... it would look like this on both ends:
male%20to%20male%20usb.jpg

What you want is a male to female usb cable, like this:
CC2210C-06_LR.jpg

If you want to buy one, go into future shop or wal-mart or wherever sells electronics, and ask for a USB extention cable.

I am guessing you want your flash drive connected somewhere with in reach while sitting down?

Or something like this which isnt quite as nice

usb-extension-cable-active-amplifier-cable-17ft.jpg

Guys, What is the exact name of this pic in this post ^^^^^^. That is what I need. I have been using a usb M to M end cable which has been working, (how I do not know) but it is the wrong cable. Could this of caused my flash drive to crap the bed?

thx

What you want is a male to female usb cable, like this:
CC2210C-06_LR.jpg

Actually, this is what I have been using. Isn't that a male to male?

Actually, this is what I have been using. Isn't that a male to male?
Nope, that's a male to female. The technical name would be "USB type A plug to USB type A receptacle", and that's the correct cable to use with a flash drive, it's essentially like a USB extension lead. You couldn't have been using a male-male cable because the flash drive physically wouldn't fit in the end of it! Unless the cable itself was broken in some odd way (unlikely) then it wouldn't have caused your flash drive to break at all, this must have been through some other means. Might've taken a knock or something similar, or might just be wear and tear - these things don't last forever.

Was that what you wanted to know? :)

Nope, that's a male to female. The technical name would be "USB type A plug to USB type A receptacle", and that's the correct cable to use with a flash drive, it's essentially like a USB extension lead. You couldn't have been using a male-male cable because the flash drive physically wouldn't fit in the end of it! Unless the cable itself was broken in some odd way (unlikely) then it wouldn't have caused your flash drive to break at all, this must have been through some other means. Might've taken a knock or something similar, or might just be wear and tear - these things don't last forever.

Was that what you wanted to know? :)

Ok, so I do have the correct cable then. Let me ask you this then. In the bottom pic in post 6, does it matter which end I place into the back of the computer? I have been placing the end on the left into the back of the computer and then other end into my flash drive. Is that correct? If so, I noticed today that I can't fit the end I was using into my PC anymore and I had to reverse the cable in order to fit again. That is when my flash drive messed up. Can someone plz let me know which cable end goes where plz.

thx

Ok, so I do have the correct cable then. Let me ask you this then. In the bottom pic in post 6, does it matter which end I place into the back of the computer? I have been placing the end on the left into the back of the computer and then other end into my flash drive. Is that correct? If so, I noticed today that I can't fit the end I was using into my PC anymore and I had to reverse the cable in order to fit again. That is when my flash drive messed up. Can someone plz let me know which cable end goes where plz.
Eh? Everything should just go where it fits, the flash drive would only fit in the socket (that's the one towards the bottom left of the picture) and the plug (that's the other one) would only fit in the computer. How on earth did you manage to reverse the cable?!

Eh? Everything should just go where it fits, the flash drive would only fit in the socket (that's the one towards the bottom left of the picture) and the plug (that's the other one) would only fit in the computer. How on earth did you manage to reverse the cable?!

Not sure how it fit but it did. So the last way I described and the way you just described is the correct way then?

Do you think I should get a new cable just in case so my next flash drive don't mess up or do you think the one I have is OK as long as it is hooked up as we said?

plz let me know. ;)

thx

Back
Top Bottom