Upgrading win7 to 10

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I am thinking about upgrading my Win7 Pro desktop to 10.

The one thing I am wondering about is if there will be a problem since i moved my "Users" folder to a different drive than where Windows was installed when i set up this desktop years ago. ?

I would try to move it back but the SSD of the boot drive "C" it not large enough.

Will this cause some major headaches ?

thanks

So in a previous p[ost you said that the ISO was installing Windows 10 on to your laptop.

https://www.techist.com/forums/threads/upgrade-old-win7-laptop-to-10.405338/

Is this not the case?

Anyway to install from the USB you have to make the USB drive the first boot drive in the computer bias. If Windows 10 is installing then the fact that you have moved your User Folder doesn't seem to be making any difference. The new install of Windows 10 will put a new empty User folder on. If you moved the user folder to a different drive then that old folder should still be there with all it's contents.

So in a previous p[ost you said that the ISO was installing Windows 10 on to your laptop.

https://www.techist.com/forums/threads/upgrade-old-win7-laptop-to-10.405338/

Is this not the case?

Anyway to install from the USB you have to make the USB drive the first boot drive in the computer bias. If Windows 10 is installing then the fact that you have moved your User Folder doesn't seem to be making any difference. The new install of Windows 10 will put a new empty User folder on. If you moved the user folder to a different drive then that old folder should still be there with all it's contents.

I did install windows 10 on my windows 7 laptop. it all went fine. I did not move the user files on this laptop previously so it was not a concern.
Now i am wanting to do the same with my desktop and looking to avoid any problems if possible. thanks

I did install windows 10 on my windows 7 laptop. it all went fine. I did not move the user files on this laptop previously so it was not a concern.
Now i am wanting to do the same with my desktop and looking to avoid any problems if possible. thanks
If you do an upgrade and keep everything exactly the same, it should be fine, but this is Windows we're talking about.

As a result, you may still upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and get a free digital licence for the most recent version of Windows 10 without having to pass any additional tests.

You now need to get the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Head to the Windows 10 download page and select Download tool now. Once the file's downloaded, open it and agree to the various terms and conditions that are required. Select Upgrade this PC now when given the choice.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

Back
Top Bottom