Upgrading old comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacp

Daemon Poster
First of all, i was wondering if an agp 8x/4x card will fit on an agp 4x/2x (2.0) slot. I read alot of information about this and it still confuses me. I generally get teh sense taht yes, the agp 8x/4x will fit in the 4x/2x. Just want to make sure.
Also, will there be a huge performance cut by having agp 4x instead of 8x? I heard different opinions from the web, and i just want to make sure.

Another this is that i want to upgrade my old northwood 2.0 p4. The max fsb my mobo can handle is 533. I was thinking about getting a celeron d for it, but i can't decide between the 3.06 ghz one and the 2.8 ghz one. Is 2.6 ghz really worth that extra 30 bucks? Also, in terms of performance, what pentium processor would be most suitable to be compared with the 3.06 ghz celeron? Should I scrap my celeron plans and just go into a pentium? Please offer suggestions.
(not looking for amds because my mobo will not support amd processors!)

Ow ya, I'm not planning to do some serious gaming on that comp. Nothing like doom3. Just WoW and guild wars.

Yes, your AGP 8x card will work with a 4x/2x slot. And, no it wont hurt your performance too much.

I would just stay with your 2GHz P4. Save the money and get a nice vid card, and you will be able to play games better than if you were to take your budget and get a new CPU and a new vid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom