Upgrading Motherboard

VampiricOmen

Beta member
Upgrading Motherboard Questions

I'm looking at upgrading my current motherboard, though I have a few issues regarding specifications.

From my limited understanding of computers, with my current CPU, I would only be able to use a 775 socket Motherboard. Should I choose to keep the Intel processor (Core 2 Duo E6750) I have already, I only have two options on the website I am to be buying off. On the other hand, if I look at the AMD processors, I could probably get a decent Motherboard and a decent CPU for around the same price it'd cost me for a moderate Intel set up. I'm leaning towards the AMD, however I am uncertain on the motherboard. The thing is, if I choose to keep my current CPU, upgrading will probably cost me more in the future (seeing as Core 2 Duo's are being replaced by Core i3/5/7's).

Anyway, would these set ups work? Which one should I go for?

Set Up 1: Keep CPU and just upgrade Motherboard to DDR3 compatible

ASUS P5G41T-M-LX Motherboard or Gigabyte GA-EP41T-USB3 Motherboard

^The Gigabyte one seems to be better, though I can't find any information on the onboard graphics, if it has any at all. Onboard graphics isn't necessary though, just nice to have if my graphics card decides to malfunction.

Set Up 2: Upgrade and replace Motherboard and CPU

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

Also, I'm going to eventually upgrade the power supply, is this an alright PSU?
Antec High Current Gamer 750W Power Supply HCG-750
My current PSU is only 300w, hoping for a 550w or higher.

This computer is mostly used for gaming and general browsing/program usage. Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this, hopefully it makes sense.

Edit: This issue is pretty much solved, I've decided on a different set up, but at around the same cost.

Back
Top Bottom