upgrading internal hard drive on PS4 PRO

weird lol
i put new thermal paste the silver MX-4 and it got louder
im sure i did everything correctly, ive been building pcs since like 1998

correction, its louder when game like warzone is loading but not loud when playing
Loading is CPU bound due to decompressing. If it was loud all the time I'd say maybe something was up but if it's quiet during gaming I wouldn't worry about it.
i was also wondering if i could use the samsung PM863 1.92tb
looks like its a server drive optimized for reading.

everywhere i look pages recommend the samsung evo series like its the only drive out there. which is kinda getting old
Everybody quotes the EVOs because they have the highest IOPS out of the SATA drives available. Unless you could find an 863 that's cheaper than 300 bucks I'd stick with an EVO.

In terms of SATA drives they are the best, outside of the Pros anyways. They are expensive compared to other SSDs, so just depends on application and whether you'll notice the IOPS difference or not. 2TB EVO is 299, 2TB Crucial MX500 is 229. For 99% of things I'd get the MX500.

well i mean considering the bus limitations of ps4 pro shouldnt i be able to get away with something cheaper than samsung evo series ssd?

Bus limitations only limit sequential speeds which don't matter due to the CPU and file system anyway. The speed people feel is IOPS in any machine and you only see the benefits of raw sequential speeds when doing things like decompressing (that isn't CPU bottlenecked), really fast downloads or other large file network activity, and things like Photoshop/Premiere/etc.

I guess a really hardcore example of this is something like my 98se box. Heavily bottlenecked by CPU and bus (IDE133 to SATA adapter) but still really quick the faster you go despite these things.

Back
Top Bottom