Upgrading HD on Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancer player

Baseband Member
Hey everyone!

I am confused about what HD I need to upgrade my Dell Dimension 2400 with. To my understanding, I can use either SATA or IDE because all that is different are the wires (based on PZEROFGH's section in the sticky). So I can choose either one for my Dell and it will work?

On a side note, I am going to get a 7,200 rpm HD but then the 10,000 rpm crossed my mind. I decided to check it out, but then realized how much of a rip off they were based on storage/price. Will the 10,000 rpm HDs come down in price soon or should I just stick with the 7,200 rpm HD for everyday computing and NO games?

Thanks!

i got a 10k hdd and there not worht it, i may sell mine and just get a decent 7.2k, open up the case and see if the mobo has sata connectores if it does then get a nice wd 250gb sata hdd

It appears that you have an IDE only type system. So I would suggest a decent 7200rpm hard drive. and if you need to replace the IDE ribbon cable so you have 2 connections and you should be good to go... but those cases are not usually set up to handle 2 drive so you might want open the box first and look.

Nukem said:
It appears that you have an IDE only type system. So I would suggest a decent 7200rpm hard drive. and if you need to replace the IDE ribbon cable so you have 2 connections and you should be good to go... but those cases are not usually set up to handle 2 drive so you might want open the box first and look.

I have to open about 10 dells a day and let me tell you...

.015% of their product design budget goes into case design.

LOL.. Yea I know... those boxes Suc... even the newer cases they make with the GX620's and 650's aren't that good, but they are designed a little better.

^^ you kidding, I was gonna start a thread on how good the dell cases are, my first dell case I encountered a few years ago was ok, plastic with metal interior, pretty solid feeling, nice button to open it up, and great cable management, whisper quiet of course too, new dell came the other day, and its even better, for the first time there’s a case where ya don’t need a screwdriver to get to the pci slot thing, its got a nifty catch, again good cable management, adds are sideways, makes it so much easier to access them, and it also opens with a little button, and feels so solid.

I have to argue about the 10k rpm drives. I have 2 in raid and they are fantastic and blazing fast. I do lot of gaming and I make samples for use in concert for my band (www.myspace.com/sighlo) using fruity loops and Reason, and having the raptors is awesome. Everything gets done so fast, they are rock solid. I'm not exactly impatient but I hate waiting for games to load or for .mp3 to be created so I love these drives. They are not cheap but are really great. I have slower drives for my back ups/picture storage etc. But windows and all my applications are on the raid array.

Alex81388 said:
I have to open about 10 dells a day and let me tell you...

.015% of their product design budget goes into case design.

you too?
I don the same thing, 600m's all day.. the quota is 15. and I definitly agree with you.. the easiest parts to break require the most work to fix......

i love my RAID 0 Raptors (10k rpm) i can load windows in ~4-5seconds!

the load screen w/ the bars that scroll across below the Windows logo at the begining usually only makes it across once, never 2 full scrolls.

all of my games (FEAR, HL2, UT04, AOE3, Q4) all load in like 10 secs... i personally couldnt believe how fast it is. if u dont game though, i doubt u'd notice a diff except startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom