Upgrading CPU for Da Vinci Resolve issues

_HUNTER

Solid State Member
Hi all, can anyone help me? been doing alot of googling and reading online as im having issues while trying to edit videos on da vinci resolve 15.

its currently really laggy on play back, even more so when its trying to play over sections that i may have added an image or some text etc.. nothing too fancy, literally only been at it for about 2 weeks lol.

when i do a performance check from the task bar on windows 10, my graphics car is hardly being used but my CPU seems to be rammed during the play back so this is why i think it needs to be upgraded but id just like other peoples opinions before i go buy anything lol.

the Pc Specs are as follows :
Windows 10 pro
Ryzen 3 3200G
Gigabyte A320
16GB RAM
240GB SSD
HDD 1000GB
Sapphire RX 570 4GB

was purchased as an already built pc for "gaming" but i wont be doing any gaming any time soon just video editing.

i have been looking at the Ryzen 5 3600 or else the Ryzen 7 3700x

not sure which would be better for me or that would be able to just be installed without having to upgraded anything else etc etc.

any help would honestly be sooooo massively appreciated.

thanks in advance,

HUNTER x

A Ryzen 3 3200G is basically a four core CPU. It has some additional graphics cores but since you are using a graphics card they are not in the mix. My wife's computer has a 3200G as well, but I put a graphics card in it as hers kept crashing due to drivers. Anyway, it seems that Da Vinci Resolve needs more horsepower.

You're biggest stumbling block is your motherboard. The A320 chipset is as bottle of the barrel cheap as it comes for the first gen Ryzen stuff. Surprisingly it looks like you would be able to run a 3000 series chip with a BIOS update, though. With the 3600 going for less than 200 that would be a hell of an upgrade for you. Same for a 3700X. Check the Gigabyte site and look for your motherboard model for the proper BIOS update.

First issue is, when you add effects, image, whatever that quick timeline scrubbing is processed with hardware acceleration which is usually CUDA based. Having an AMD card means all that work is done on the CPU. AKA, your CPU is trying to quickly render for playback which happens to be a slow 3200G. That's why GPU is barely being touched.

A CPU upgrade would help tremendously for final renders, but getting an Nvidia GPU would help further when dealing with timeline. Resolve 15 is also pretty old, so if you are just starting I suggest going Premiere Pro so you can use NVENC for final render as well.

A Ryzen 3 3200G is basically a four core CPU. It has some additional graphics cores but since you are using a graphics card they are not in the mix. My wife's computer has a 3200G as well, but I put a graphics card in it as hers kept crashing due to drivers. Anyway, it seems that Da Vinci Resolve needs more horsepower.

You're biggest stumbling block is your motherboard. The A320 chipset is as bottle of the barrel cheap as it comes for the first gen Ryzen stuff. Surprisingly it looks like you would be able to run a 3000 series chip with a BIOS update, though. With the 3600 going for less than 200 that would be a hell of an upgrade for you. Same for a 3700X. Check the Gigabyte site and look for your motherboard model for the proper BIOS update.
would you be able to advise a better mother board to use? could get the 5 3600 and another motherboard if you think i would benefit from it? currently trying to find out if there are any updates for my motherboard
Are you doing 4k or 1080p? Have you tried turning the playback res down to 1/2 or a 1/4
1080p i record in and ive tried the play back resolution on both but it just seems to be the same if not worse lol.
First issue is, when you add effects, image, whatever that quick timeline scrubbing is processed with hardware acceleration which is usually CUDA based. Having an AMD card means all that work is done on the CPU. AKA, your CPU is trying to quickly render for playback which happens to be a slow 3200G. That's why GPU is barely being touched.

A CPU upgrade would help tremendously for final renders, but getting an Nvidia GPU would help further when dealing with timeline. Resolve 15 is also pretty old, so if you are just starting I suggest going Premiere Pro so you can use NVENC for final render as well.
okay so probably going to have to update my CPU, GPU and alos the graphics card at some point? im using da vinci 15 as when i was using 16/17 the program would just crash constantly when doing playback lol. read online and alot of da vinci support were directing users to go back to the 15 version so this is what i done.

is there something i can upgrade at the moment to help it either the GPU or the CPU?

checkec my command promt and the bio version is : SMBIOSBIOSVersion F52

Wait 5 seconds here, how much room do you have on your ssd, i have had a situation where the performance dropped to 0 on a pc when the ssd was to full, an when i moved everything off it it worked great

Wait 5 seconds here, how much room do you have on your ssd, i have had a situation where the performance dropped to 0 on a pc when the ssd was to full, an when i moved everything off it it worked great
looks like its almost full lol... is that from things saved to desktop etc etc? should i get a portable hard drive and store them there or even move them to the 1TB HDD(D:)

sorry if these are basic questions genuinely not been on a "PC or Laptop" in about 10 years lol...

Untitled.png

would you be able to advise a better mother board to use? could get the 5 3600 and another motherboard if you think i would benefit from it? currently trying to find out if there are any updates for my motherboard

1080p i record in and ive tried the play back resolution on both but it just seems to be the same if not worse lol.

okay so probably going to have to update my CPU, GPU and alos the graphics card at some point? im using da vinci 15 as when i was using 16/17 the program would just crash constantly when doing playback lol. read online and alot of da vinci support were directing users to go back to the 15 version so this is what i done.

is there something i can upgrade at the moment to help it either the GPU or the CPU?
Ryzen 5 3600 and a cheap B550 board if you can find them or an Intel 10400 and B460m board would probably be cheaper. That board will support a 3600 so that and a GPU would do the trick even if it's something like a 1050ti or 1650.
looks like its almost full lol... is that from things saved to desktop etc etc? should i get a portable hard drive and store them there or even move them to the 1TB HDD(D:)

sorry if these are basic questions genuinely not been on a "PC or Laptop" in about 10 years lol...

View attachment 14107
This'll help but it won't be the end all be all. You definitely need to clear that out as much as possible for overall system performance but it won't help too much with your video editing performance.

Back
Top Bottom